• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

need a Structural solution

I can fix that.

I'll need a few hanks of rope, any old Ford Powerstroke, and a good cigar.

Here, hold my beer...

Brent

Frank said:
7 years old. I suspect the geotech report has some language about the need to protect the base of the hill from wave/wake action that did not get built. Heavy recreational powerboat use equals alot of wake wash to erode the base of the hill.This was likely not an overnight issue and action could have been taken even after considerable erosion/crumbling back to stop and reinforce before it got this far.
Looking at it in more detail, it may have happened relatively quick.

On the wider shot the cliff is only failing at that spot, with no wave undercutting.

Whaddya want to bet it was due to the landscaping?

Brent.

Do everyone a favor, pull it down now, away.........hate to think about the clean up down below......

MASSDRIVER said:
Looking at it in more detail, it may have happened relatively quick.On the wider shot the cliff is only failing at that spot, with no wave undercutting.

Whaddya want to bet it was due to the landscaping?

Brent.
The fill under the house did not help.

To the left the cliff actually hangs out over the water supporting the wave undercut theory. Looking at it on mapquest sat view you can see about 200 ft of cliff including the now fallen part has considerable negative slope. The house at the outher end of the street is in similar danger along with a number of others down the lake on the higher ground.

The bare nature of the cliff shows that it is retreating across its entire front--if it was not flaking off regularly something would be growing.

IF the wave undercut action is not protected against the whole neighborhood is in danger. An aggrivating factor is that as a flood control reservoir the water levels vary considerably over time water level is down 12 feet from what is was in 2012

Getting ready to torch it

Not sure how they think a masonry clad house will burn completely

flooded-house-torn-down-2.jpg

Structural Solution