• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Need of some guidance

jdromani said:
I have about 2 weeks to study and pass the exam.

Hope to hear from you guys :)
Is it really that simple? Study for two weeks...pass a test...and then you are me? I wish I had known about that.

What's with all the crappy attitudes. Were you all born with your knowledge, or was it imparted upon you by people you worked with?

The guy didn't say he was going to be the world's best inspector. Everybody starts someplace. The test is a joke and any intelligent person can pass it.

If some stupid piece of paper is what's needed to get a foot in the door and learn the trade why give this guy an attitude? Lets trash talk a guy that actually takes the initiative to come here and ask questions and remains polite with all your crappy attitudes.

Another reason why this forum hasn't seen a dime of my money. This isn't a private club.

Tim

Tim

TimNY said:
Another reason why this forum hasn't seen a dime of my money.
Who knew that it was my fault? I just figured that you were stingy. Well now that I know....

It is a ridiculous insult to promote the idea that someone can study for two weeks and pass a certification test with a competent understanding of the code. Certified is miles from qualified.

Last edited by a moderator:
TimNY said:
What's with all the crappy attitudes. Were you all born with your knowledge, or was it imparted upon you by people you worked with?The guy didn't say he was going to be the world's best inspector. Everybody starts someplace. The test is a joke and any intelligent person can pass it.

If some stupid piece of paper is what's needed to get a foot in the door and learn the trade why give this guy an attitude? Lets trash talk a guy that actually takes the initiative to come here and ask questions and remains polite with all your crappy attitudes.

Another reason why this forum hasn't seen a dime of my money. This isn't a private club.

Tim

Tim
Why? because that guy, bless his little heart, gets inflicted on those of us that have to deal with his authority, coupled with lack of experience and a severe lack of education. Nothing personal of course.

Brent.

Well hopefully if a ahj hires someone without experience, they have a program in place to train them and ride with other inspectors , before they are cut loose.

We all started somewhere, and with little code knowledge.

I see some that have been around years that Still have not made it past chapter one or who do not take any code classes.

At least someone with no field experience does not come with bad habits.

jdromani,

This is a bit off topic. Have you passed the FE (EIT) exam? If not, you may want to work toward that. If you ever want to be a licensed engineer, you will need it and it gets harder the longer you are away from school.

Hey Phil,

I've taken the EIT but didn't pass. I didn't prep as much as I should have. I wanted to take it so I could get a feel for the test. I've studied for it this summer and I am going to take it soon. You are right, it does get difficult the more you are away from school. Any tips for the EIT?

Thank you

Hey TimNY

Thanks for the support. Everyone starts somewhere. I know having a certificate or license doesn't make one an expert. Certificates/License are required otherwise it is difficult to land a job. Good new is I passed the test.

Congratulations on passing the test

The I-Code test are easier then the legacy code test for sure. What the test proves is you can navigate and find the proper code section to verify what you are enforcing.

Words of advice. When you do land your inspection job do not be afraid to admit you do not know the answer to a code question and tell them you will find out. Learn to find the intent and reasons behind a code section. Remember your job will be more of an educational source for the workers in the field than a regulator.