• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Need Sawhorses

jar546

Forum Coordinator
We have 104 Sawhorses that have failed to renew their membership.

Google AdSense has once again figure out a way to change their system so they don't have to pay as much and we now make 1/3 per month as we once did.

Amazon has dropped us an an affiliate so we no longer make money from the Amazon banner which has since been removed.

I'm not kissing anyone's ass but something has got to change.

@ ~ @ ~ @

These are my thoughts !............The continued operation of this Forum will

need a significant influx of funding..........We have discussed & discussed

& discussed some options............Not many of them have actually been

successful.

No one wants to admit it, but the subscription rates simply must increase.

This ain't rocket surgery !.......It is basic economics !

My suggestion is to increase the Forum subscription rate for Sawhorses

to $150.00 for two (2x) years, and to limit the access to the repeat

visitors...........The first 3 visits are free, ...after that it is time to pony up

for differing levels of access. 4 to 15 visits more = $40.00.........15 - 29

visits = $60.00. 30 - 44 visits = $75.00, and so on..........Jeff can set the

actual number of visits and the rates as he sees fit........Also, ...it is time

for all of the non-Sawhorses to pay up as well.

As we all know, ...there ain't no free lunches, or free healthcare.

What say ye learned Sawhorses, visitors and members ?........If you

value this resource, then it is time to pay up.........If you do not value

this Forum, then do nothing and the problem will eventually resolve

itself............Jeff will eventually have to pull the plug.

@ ~ @ ~ @

Activity appears to be on the decline. Before the recent change to the forum the counter at the average day post showed that about 100 people viewed the thread each day. It is now less than ten. I don't understand why the change would have that effect and it is possible that prior to the change the counter was giving a false,reading. I do know that I have lost interest in posting for such a small audience.

I am also concerned that one day this will evaporate and the thousands of pictures that I have posted will be gone. In the past I have sent new inspectors here with the expectation that they will find the pictures to be a learning experience.

There is a reason that sawhorses are not sticking around......I'm just not sure what that reason is. I know that the forum has been leaning away from inspection and towards plan check issues. That might explain why guys like Brent are seldom saying much.

Last edited by a moderator:
I see the sight for two reasons both code related

Inspection questions and plan review questions.

Not sure why some of the regulars quit dropping in.

As far as getting people to join and support, some only have one question and do not come back.

Why regulars will not continue to support is a good question.

Don't think there is much else out there?? I know I do not want to go back to icc!

Activity appears to be on the decline. Before the recent change to the forum the counter at the average day post showed that about 100 people viewed the thread each day. It is now less than ten. I don't understand why the change would have that effect and it is possible that prior to the change the counter was giving a false' date='reading. I do know that I have lost interest in posting for such a small audience. [/quote']Maybe since so many other things have been working correctly in the new version of the forums the counter isn't working correctly either? For the activity I've seen it seems like 10 is an awful number for the number of visitors on a given day. I do certainly agree however that the activity has certainly diminished significantly.

With the greatly reduced activity I'm not really sure that raising the membership rates would accomplish much except drive away more people. The reason for the decline of leadership and contributions needs to be determined and activity increased before any membership increases are considered.

I see the sight for two reasons both code relatedInspection questions and plan review questions.

Not sure why some of the regulars quit dropping in.

As far as getting people to join and support, some only have one question and do not come back.

Why regulars will not continue to support is a good question.

Don't think there is much else out there?? I know I do not want to go back to icc!
That is the overwhelming majority. Even if they don't ask a question, they do a word search and find the answer to a question without having to ask the question.

All these years later it is still a few keeping the forum afloat. That isn't going to change. Take the forum private. Nobody gets in unless they pay. Give them options. A week for $7.00 and a year for $45.

If I were some nerd engineer and had an architect's dumb question to ask I would be pleased to find the answer for cheap. If I were an new inspector or an old inspector and knew that I'm not much good at it I would be thrilled to get answers for cheap. If I were a good inspector and knew that I don't know it all I would be ecstatic to know that I can learn new tricks here for cheap.

There's nothing to lose by trying it....it can be rolled back at any time.....no matter what it is still a few paying the bill and dwindling numbers require drastic action.....

Many Lurkers Later become active.

​Many "answers on the internet" are wrong. I deal with that daily at the building department.

Please allow me to clarify a few things. I know nothing about the accuracy of the counter that you folks are looking at but I do have over 6 years of very detailed data from my Google Analytics account and as far as activity, we are actually up. More people are viewing pages each day. Right now, for this time of year for a rolling 30 day time period, we have about:

40,000 sessions where people visit the site

32,000 of those sessions are individual users, new and returning

78,000 separate pages are viewed during this rolling 30 day period.

Weekends are the slowest with only 600-700 sessions per day.

Tuesdays are typically the busiest with a downward curve on Th -Fr

As far as the direction of the forums topics. That is completely controlled by all of you based on what you post. We have a ton of very good, code relevant content whether it is inspection or plan review based.

I hope this helps. Stop looking at the stupid counter crap that I think I'm going to eliminate.

I don't know what the answer is to cure this but I can offer this much, sawhorse membership is dropping off and increasing prices may continue this trend! Is it the lack of states updating to knew codes, and the lack of new concerns that are encountered. Is it a drop of inspectors out from the industry? Could there be another source of info, different website or a re-energized ICC?

Icc does not look like that active

I think just trying to get the word out to the world,,, that the forum is here is a major problem

I think the problem is "your people". Allow me to explain with the added benefit of insulting inspectors everywhere.

As a generalization, the government employee maintains an entitlement mindset. I believe they feel that if their agency does not reimburse or outright pay for any job related expense, then they feel no compunction to pay for it themselves. It cuts into their Softtail money and their outlaw motorcycle club patches. Or the vacation home. Or Wednesday golf.

So the very populace you're trying to extract money from is psychologically resistant to taking a pry bar to their wallets.

The other thing, inspectors by their very nature know everything already, and the last thing they want is any intrusion into that stone cold truth. They hold to the mantra: rule #1, I'm always right. Rule# 2, if I'm wrong, refer to rule #1

I have only one humble suggestion. If the forum were mine, I think I would create a sample welcoming page with a selection of posts with questions, and the answers given. Something compelling so a tightwad penny pinching cheapskate inspector could determine if his hard....har...**

Sorry. Hard to get this out. Hard earned cash...phew...was worth him rubbing two nickels together to buy it.

Just a thought.

As for contractors, well, we DO know it all so packing our brains with useless information from know nothing inspectors is just a colossal waste of time.

But you guys knew that already.

I'm just here for the circus.

And by the way, for you lowlife non sawhorses, I personally have paid the dues when I really didn't have the money to spend. Things are sometimes that tight. So get off your a55es ard pony up. Christ on a Popsicle stick. The buckle boots and skull neoprene mask can wait.

Brent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mass

Whale spoken,

Yes I know everything

I paid for my membership, did not think to ask the city for money. And my poor dog starved because of it! Was not going to give up my pink motorcycle patch.

My feelers are hurt, I do ride a softtail, but I pay for this forum out of my own pocket, and I don't know everything, that is whyI am here.

Don't have the answer for retaining existing sawhorses, or attracting new. I do think $75 would push even more out. But maybe the unlimited free ride needs to come to an end at some point, but I don't know if the software supports that though.

I don't think that any of us need to worry about it....it is after all Jeff's problem.

I don't think that any of us need to worry about it....it is after all Jeff's problem.
Huh???

Sure Jeff could use more time to photograph beautiful things.

Yes, if it's costing him money to keep this site going he should shut it down, it's obvious that he's devoting a lot of time keeping it up and time is money.