• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Need to tie down replacement beam on pier and beam

Let me understand, the piers are reinforced with rebar, have footings beneath and don't require continuous connecting footings to prevent racking side to side, "Interesting".

Let me understand, the piers are reinforced with rebar, have footings beneath and don't require continuous connecting footings to prevent racking side to side, "Interesting".

No one is saying that.
To me the main point here is that bringing it up to current code is not required. I would not want you as my building inspector :)

Interesting case study. Eustace Conway, Watuga county, of Boone, NC was shut down for building buildings that did not meet current code. He won. NC building code was changed. Now has an an exception for "traditional" structures,etc.

How would you interpret "intended to be occupied for more than 24 hours consecutively."
I interpret it to mean does not have a bathroom. I can't think of anything else that could make you go outside within any 24 hour period.

https://www.ncleg.net/gascripts/statutes/statutelookup.pl?statute=143-138

Exclusion for Certain Farm Buildings. - Building rules do not apply to (i) farm buildings that are located outside the building-rules jurisdiction of any municipality, (ii) farm buildings that are located inside the building-rules jurisdiction of any municipality if the farm buildings are greenhouses or therapeutic equine facilities, (iii) a primitive camp, or (iv) a primitive farm building. For the purposes of this subsection:

A "primitive camp" shall include any structure primarily used or associated with outdoor camping activities, including structures used for educational, instructional, or recreational purposes for campers and for management training, that are (i) not greater than 4,000 square feet in size and (ii) are not intended to be occupied for more than 24 hours consecutively. "Structures primarily used or associated with outdoor camping activities" include, but are not limited to, shelters, tree stands, outhouses, sheds, rustic cabins, campfire shelters, picnic shelters, tents, tepees or other indigenous huts, support buildings used only for administrative functions and not for activities involving campers or program participants, and any other structures that are utilized to store any equipment, tools, commodities, or other items that are maintained or used in conjunction with outdoor camping activities such as hiking, fishing, hunting, or nature appreciation, regardless of material used for construction. The specific types of primitive camping activities, structures, and uses set forth in this subdivision are for illustrative purposes and should not be construed to limit, in any manner, the types of activities, structures, or uses that are exempted from building rules.

(5) A "primitive farm building" shall include any structure used for activities, instruction, training, or reenactment of traditional or heritage farming practices. "Primitive farm buildings" include, but are not limited to, sheds, barns, outhouses, doghouses, or other structures that are utilized to store any equipment, tools, commodities, livestock, or other items supporting farm management. These specific types of farming activities, structures, and uses set forth by this subdivision are for illustrative purposes and should not be construed to limit in any manner the types of activities, structures, or uses that are exempted from building rules.

Now it gets "more" interesting. Is your intended use: year round, as habitation, as storage only, as other?
Your safety is the concern of all of us Dan.

Glad you got the answer you were after!

If I owned it, and I had to dig down and pour new footings/walls almost all the way around it, I sure wouldn't leave the old brick piers there. Crib the whole thing up on some blocks, pour new footings and a new wall all the way around, and then set it down on top. Might cost a bit more, but not enough more that it wouldn't be worth it, IMO.

But it's not my money, and you and your inspector are satisfied, so don't pay any attention to me. :D Seriously, I'm glad you figured out a solution that makes everybody happy.

Come back and show us pics when you get it done.
May actually be less expensive than working around the existing piers

Making some progress. All new beams are in and leveled up.
My biggest issue (at the moment) is some rot that has to be dealt with.

Do you have a Simpson catalogue? You will find all your hangers and attachments there.
Video explains a lot.

Do you have a Simpson catalogue? You will find all your hangers and attachments there.
Video explains a lot.

Yes. I have a catalog and have ordered the beam hangars. They are on the way.
The one thing that I still have an issue with is the screws for the hangars. Lowe’s sells the 1.5 inch ones, but I believe that I need to use longer ones to tie these beams together and for the hangars.
The screws that I need are the 3and 4.5 inch ones, at least. (WS3 and WS45), which I haven’t yet been able to find. When I google WS45 screw I get a lot of results from the MiTek site but only see one place to actually but them, Menards, and they only sell them by the case.
Why doe no one sell these screws? I might use the 1.5s temporarily but would need to change them out before I put the subfloor down.
It’s always something.