• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

New addition over existing garage in Georgina by-law compliance

Katerina

Hello all,
I am designing an addition to existing house over the attached garage. The property is in Georgina, Ontario.
Are there any specific by-law requirements for such an addition?
I've studied the local by-law and don't see anything other than the regular setbacks, height and coverage requirements.
Any input is much appreciated!)

We would not have any knowledge of local by-laws, you would have to talk with the city permit office, and maybe the HOA if there is one.

Because it has common assemblies with a garage the air barrier needs to be continuous and functioning to protect the inhabitants from CO gasses. CO alarms should be included as required as well.

If you're asking about zoning issues - maximum permitted height and area, set backs, and such - it's primarily very local. If you're a part of an HOA, strictly local. If your questions are more code oriented - like materials, fire protection, stairs, egress, even energy - this site might be able to help or give some direction.

Raising or tearing off existing garage roof and building a room on top of it, or finishing out a room within existing attic? (If the later, you probably won't have zoning or HOA concerns.)

Your question is quite general, without many specifics, and codes are a lot about details.

First off, no seismic bracing or wind restrictions apply. In addition to what others have said, you ought to be cautious if you're creating a secondary suite ....

We would not have any knowledge of local by-laws, you would have to talk with the city permit office, and maybe the HOA if there is one.
There were a few by-law changes in the last 15 years. Looking at the 2008 permit and current by-law, seems like the 2nd storey setback has changed and lot coverage has changed for R1 zone in the area.

First off, no seismic bracing or wind restrictions apply. In addition to what others have said, you ought to be cautious if you're creating a secondary suite ....
No, not a secondary suite. Even though you could have up to 3 dwelling units on the property (2 as per local by-law + 1 as per new Ontario Regulations, which municipalities recognize)

Because it has common assemblies with a garage the air barrier needs to be continuous and functioning to protect the inhabitants from CO gasses. CO alarms should be included as required as well.
Thank you! Gasproofing I've included, CO alarms I need to put in.