• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

New Aspiring Building Inspector here!

rating001

Hello everyone!

I firstly wanted to thank everyone for this excellent resource. This is such an excellent place to start when I have questions about code or building construction practices (and many other things) and everyone makes that possible.

I graduated with a Bachelors of Architecture a little over a year ago after deciding that I did not want to finish my Masters, because I did not want to become an Architect. I love Architecture and most things about it, especially safe design and environmental design; however, the politics involved in it and the continued stress for the rest of my life did not appeal to me. That being said I have a broad range of under the table construction work, nursing, and restaurant management but I have decided to become a building inspector so that I can stay in the field that I love while not being a physical laborer for the rest of my life. (Just in terms of bodily protection, I've beaten myself up in the last 10 years.)

I have combed the internet for ways to become a building inspector, and although many sites give information such as "Become certified through classes" I have not found this to be very helpful since I live in Spokane, Washington and the closest classes (The official state endorsed ones listed with the department of licensing) are on the other side of the state and would require me to live there for a few months to get through them.

My end goal is to work for the city, and I have just contacted one of the building officials with the city here and am waiting for his advice, but the more the better! I was wondering how some of you may have become inspectors (I understand that not everyone is an inspector/official), and if online classes such as http://www.ashworthcollege.edu/undergraduate-certificates/construction-management would be an effective way to start my career or if I should just go straight for the Associate's Degree in Construction Management through a school like that.

Are there certain certifications that I should focus on first, or books that I should read? I didn't want to go buy all the http://shop.iccsafe.org/codes/2012-international-codes.html books if there are only certain ones I should need. I imagine some of the books are for specialized inspectors.

Any help here would be appreciated! Thank you again for the help you've given in the past and in the future!

-Ken

Start smaller first, go for your ICC Residential Inspector Cert., only need a copy of the 2009 or 12 IRC. Your construction experience can be advantage, if you were instructed well, but don't rely on it, figure out how the IRC book is laid out, Table of Contents and Index are your friends. Get your cert, and go from there.

Welcome to the Forum............

I went to Chemeketa Community College in Salem Oregon and got a two year degree in building inspection. A large (if not all) number of classes can be done on line, it was an excellent program. With your already having a bachelor degree it wouldn't take much for you to get the two year degree. If you wish to spurn that I understand, then my advice would be study, study, study and start taking ICC exams. With your four year and some ICC certs AND field work (you made it sound as though you've been in construction a bit) you should be happily accepted. BIG thing - know the code. My two cents.

Welcome

Sorry politics are involved as an inspector, sometimes more than you think

Look at the employment thread, it is kept up very well by a loyal site member

Cannot tell if you are a sawhorse, this site is supported by members that contribute and cheaper than hiring a consultant

You need to check different city web sites for what they require to apply and may need to call building officials in different cities and ask

One route also to go is code enforcement , get in, get your name known till an opening in building comes open

I do not live in WA but have eaten salmon there,, Reach out to this assoc, join, plus they have a job opening link

http://www.wabo.org

rating001 said:
Hello everyone!I firstly wanted to thank everyone for this excellent resource. This is such an excellent place to start when I have questions about code or building construction practices (and many other things) and everyone makes that possible.

I graduated with a Bachelors of Architecture a little over a year ago after deciding that I did not want to finish my Masters, because I did not want to become an Architect. I love Architecture and most things about it, especially safe design and environmental design; however, the politics involved in it and the continued stress for the rest of my life did not appeal to me. That being said I have a broad range of under the table construction work, nursing, and restaurant management but I have decided to become a building inspector so that I can stay in the field that I love while not being a physical laborer for the rest of my life. (Just in terms of bodily protection, I've beaten myself up in the last 10 years.)

I have combed the internet for ways to become a building inspector, and although many sites give information such as "Become certified through classes" I have not found this to be very helpful since I live in Spokane, Washington and the closest classes (The official state endorsed ones listed with the department of licensing) are on the other side of the state and would require me to live there for a few months to get through them.

My end goal is to work for the city, and I have just contacted one of the building officials with the city here and am waiting for his advice, but the more the better! I was wondering how some of you may have become inspectors (I understand that not everyone is an inspector/official), and if online classes such as http://www.ashworthcollege.edu/undergraduate-certificates/construction-management would be an effective way to start my career or if I should just go straight for the Associate's Degree in Construction Management through a school like that.

Are there certain certifications that I should focus on first, or books that I should read? I didn't want to go buy all the http://shop.iccsafe.org/codes/2012-international-codes.html books if there are only certain ones I should need. I imagine some of the books are for specialized inspectors.

Any help here would be appreciated! Thank you again for the help you've given in the past and in the future!

-Ken
http://www.thebuildingcodeforum.com/forum/website-discussion/14626-sawhorse-membership-reminder-free-book.html

I was to late to read ICE's post but I would bet there was a lot of wisdom in his post.

Good luck.

accumulated philosophic or scientific learning : knowledge b : ability to discern inner qualities and relationships : insight c : good sense : judgment d : generally accepted belief