• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

New Member, new Code Enforcement Officer.

Cmessier

Hello all!

I just got offered a position this morning as an "Assistant" Code Enforcement Officer. I have experience working for a non-profit and had to know a lot of the quality of life codes and submit them to the city for enforcement . I've never been on the actual enforcement end. The organization that hired me has a senior code inspector who has been doing it for 22 years (he seems awesome, knowledgeable and like someone I'll really get along well with) that's going to be my mentor of sorts. I need to bone up on the IPMC, take the test and get certified. I've got 90 days to do so and then they want to make me a sull Code Enforcement Officer (no "assistant".)

So, I found this place and it seems to be a great resource with a wealth of knowledge. Hope it's OK if I hang around and maybe ask a question from time to time. This isnt going to be all sunshine and rainbows, I'm sure, but I'm really really looking forward to it!

Yes Welcome to the forum. Hang around and ask as many questions as you want.
2 cents worth of advice if I may. Try not to use the word "enforcement" when talking with others. The goal behind the codes are getting compliance, this indicates you are part of what it takes to achieve compliance. This might involve you bringing outside sources to help the property owner with the corrections. "Enforcement" may be perceived as adversarial and met with resistance.

Yes Welcome to the forum. Hang around and ask as many questions as you want.
2 cents worth of advice if I may. Try not to use the word "enforcement" when talking with others. The goal behind the codes are getting compliance, this indicates you are part of what it takes to achieve compliance. This might involve you bringing outside sources to help the property owner with the corrections. "Enforcement" may be perceived as adversarial and met with resistance.

I think that's great advice. During my interview, there was talk of changing the name fro m"Enforcement" to Administration or something similar. Less confrontational. I am in full support. Of course I know sometimes I will have to be the bad guy, but yeah, avoiding that as much as possible seems smart.

I think that's great advice. During my interview, there was talk of changing the name fro m"Enforcement" to Administration or something similar. Less confrontational. I am in full support. Of course I know sometimes I will have to be the bad guy, but yeah, avoiding that as much as possible seems smart.

Welcome,,,

I take it you will be looking more at cars parked on grass, trash, outside building condition, and a lot of similar stuff???????

Welcome!

mtlogcabin is spot on, years ago we changed the name of the Division from Code Enforcement, to Code Compliance. Felt that it lent itself to a better start when approaching a problem property.

Good Luck!

Hello all!

I just got offered a position this morning as an "Assistant" Code Enforcement Officer. I have experience working for a non-profit and had to know a lot of the quality of life codes and submit them to the city for enforcement . I've never been on the actual enforcement end. The organization that hired me has a senior code inspector who has been doing it for 22 years (he seems awesome, knowledgeable and like someone I'll really get along well with) that's going to be my mentor of sorts. I need to bone up on the IPMC, take the test and get certified. I've got 90 days to do so and then they want to make me a sull Code Enforcement Officer (no "assistant".)

So, I found this place and it seems to be a great resource with a wealth of knowledge. Hope it's OK if I hang around and maybe ask a question from time to time. This isnt going to be all sunshine and rainbows, I'm sure, but I'm really really looking forward to it!
What are you planning to use to study for the IPMC? I will be taking the same test soon.

We have found the Study Guides from ICC quite helpful, and they are not that pricey really.
It's an open book test, right? Im reading it over a few times, I'm already gonna be spending $200 on the test and probably that much on boots, hopefully I'll be OK. Guy I'm working for says it's more about being able to find it fast enough.