• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

New Owners, Old Building

Flexo

At what point does your jurisdiction require upgrading antiquated equipment? I am dealing with a one hundred year old buildings with new owners. My City requires passing inspections from the Fire Marshal and Building Inspector for the required business license. The restrooms are inaccessible, without grab bars, accessible height water closets, the urinal is a trough. You get the point. I know that our adopted IPMC requires that all plumbing including fixtures be' maintained in a safe, sanitary working condition, in accordance with IPC'
It seems that the privacy requirement in the IPMC 503.1 would require that the urinals be upgraded to provide privacy. We deal with such situations regularly, recently I am dealing with a obstinate manager that is playing his "grandfathered" card, using this logic, we would be required to permit outhouses! I think that the Property Maintenance Code is probably the best way to proceed since it does not have the grandfathering clause. What do you think?

In California the general rule is that once a certificate of occupancy is issued the owner is not required to upgrade the building as long as it complies with the building code under which it was permitted. There are limited exceptions to this. I assume that buildings constructed prior to the adoption of a building code are vested. We also have a Historical Building Code which is more friendly to historical buildings.

In a few instances the Legislature has allowed local jurisdictions to mandate, certain otherwise compliant building be upgraded. Examples include Unreinforced Masonry Buildings and Soft Story Buildings.

Since these principles are defined in state law a Property Maintenance Code would not change this. We have a State building code and local jurisdictions are limited in what local code modifications they can adopt.

We don't use the IFC except when the IBC sends us to a certain section and we don't have IMPC or business license's or fire marshals.
Only need permit when there is construction or a Change of Occupancy.

At what point does your jurisdiction require upgrading antiquated equipment? I am dealing with a one hundred year old buildings with new owners. My City requires passing inspections from the Fire Marshal and Building Inspector for the required business license. The restrooms are inaccessible, without grab bars, accessible height water closets, the urinal is a trough. You get the point. I know that our adopted IPMC requires that all plumbing including fixtures be' maintained in a safe, sanitary working condition, in accordance with IPC'
It seems that the privacy requirement in the IPMC 503.1 would require that the urinals be upgraded to provide privacy. We deal with such situations regularly, recently I am dealing with a obstinate manager that is playing his "grandfathered" card, using this logic, we would be required to permit outhouses! I think that the Property Maintenance Code is probably the best way to proceed since it does not have the grandfathering clause. What do you think?
What is the Problem?
The trough Urinals sounds like you have a historic location that needs to PRESERVE the Charm of Years Gone By

Unless the AHJ determines that there is a LIFE SAFETY CONCERN seems like you are free to continue use of elements that were as per Code when they were installed

At what point does your jurisdiction require upgrading antiquated equipment?
What is your jurisdiction?

In my jurisdiction we get to use the California Historical Building Code, or California Existing Building Code. In general, if it's not touched it can stay. And you generally want to be "repairing" not upgrading stuff, if you'd like to keep the old look and function.

The bigger issue is the ADA, and many lovely old bathrooms have been savaged because of it.
Is your place a place of public accommodation? While it won't get you a free pass on the ADA, could the owner approve the building of an accessible modern restroom elsewhere, to avoid savaging the historic structure?

Look closely as the adopted code language that authorizes the Building Department and Fire Department approvals. It may be limited to zoning compliance only. The extent of any changes required by the Building Department and/or the Fire Department must be specifically supported by the adopted City code.