• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

New Sawhorse

RichardC

I am a building designer for a design-build contractor. I have been working with the building codes since 1979. I am finding the IBC to be getting more difficult to interpret. I do imagine thats because of it not necessarily being a "life-safety only" code anymore. Anyway I am here because a good quality forum is needed with todays IBC. Thanks.

RichardC said:
I am a building designer for a design-build contractor. I have been working with the building codes since 1979. I am finding the IBC to be getting more difficult to interpret. I do imagine thats because of it not necessarily being a "life-safety only" code anymore. Anyway I am here because a good quality forum is needed with todays IBC. Thanks.
Welcome Richard, you are correct, codes are now vehicles of social justice, it's very hard as a builder to explain to our customers why they have to spend so much more money to satisfy code requirements unrelated to health or safety.

RichardC said:
Welcome

Have you mainly worked with nfpa 101?

To me the uniform and international have taken the entire building design into account.

What state are you in?????

Welcome new Sawhorse RichardC

Tell us a bit more about your home/work location and any interests you may want to tell us about.