• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

New Thread - What to recommend to ICC re: Bulletin Board/Forum

vegas paul

Silver Member
The other thread was getting too long for some to get to the end, so I figured we could start a new one specifically for suggestions for the ICC Bulletin Board/Forum.

Just a recap... Thee ICC sent out a survey (in reponse to everyone deserting the old ICC BB ship!) asking for comments about the ICC website and BB. Subsequently, they invited several of us to participate in a round-table meeting to provide suggestions for the future of the ICC BB. Keep in mind, we met with them in Baltimore and heard lots of promises, but there were no changes, so I'm trying not to be too cynical.

I am going to Denver on Sept. 9/10 for this meeting and I don't want to limit my responses to my ideas only. I would like to have suggestions posted here for all of us to get our ideas across.

My suggestions:

• Don't make this a complaint session - i.e. what positive suggestions can we offer them?
  • If you have no intention of ever going back to the ICC BB, then this is probably not the place to express negative opinions.
  • Are we as a group, even interested in making the ICC BB something similar to what it once was? If so, then are there any improvements we could suggest?
Anyway, please feel free to let me (or any other participants in the meeting) forward any ideas you have.

Look forward to seeing/meeting some of you there.

One would like to think if they are going to spend our money to pay for us to go out there they are serious, so until they prove me wrong I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.

Maybe we should try to meet as a group Wednesday night and go over the plan.

I guess my only suggestion would be that there was nothing wrong with the old forum as it was.

Vegas Paul,

Thanks for starting this thread.

1. Regardless of which type of BB you have; use the same format of listing topics that we had on the old ICC Bulletin Board. It was easy to use; it worked and worked well.

2. Write and set specific rules for the monitors to use. Restrict them to; only taking action when these "specifc rules" are violated. Examples would be personal attacks on other posters, foul language, etc..

3. Add a couple of chat rooms. The addition of chat rooms will;

a. Give members a place to communicate in real time.

b. Allow members to discuss a topic and differeces of opinions; without disrupting the thread.

Example: "Ok, Fatboy, let's take it (outside) the chat room." :D

c. Reduce confrontations within threads; keeping the Bulletin Board on subject.

d. Allow members to discuss (in real time) muliple subjects; and become more aquainted with each other.

e. Allow members to discuss subjects at length; and present new ideas.

f. Give members a sense of being part of the ICC Family.

Just a few ideas,

Uncle bob

Last edited by a moderator:
Open it to ICC members and non members equally.

Have ICC staff moderators monitor and cite ICC formal interpretations when applicable.

If they are genuinely interested in what we think / want,

how about following Coca-Cola's lead and issue an

apology to all of us. And not some insincere, marketing

schpeel...

Also, remove [ permanently ] the requirement for

"paid member" access to the BB, ...similar to what

Coug dad said.

Do not incorporate face book or twitter or u-tube as part of the discussion board. These are blocked by most of us in goverment and therefore useless to us.

cite ICC formal interpretations when applicable
or provide a direct link to them within the BB

Go back to their old format. Allow access regardless of membership. Most of us in the corporate world are also blocked from the social networking sites so don't use them.

Yep, just like the "New" Coke-- apologize & go back to the original product.

1. Open access to everyone!

2. Besides having access via the web format, provide access with newsreader programs like Outlook Express, Windows Live & Thunderbird. I would follow much closer to any group with usenet interface option

We'll have a "study session" on Wednesday night when we arrive (I'll be there about 5:45 p.m.). First round's on me...

Paul,

You can get there sooner than that; especially if your going to have a meeting. It's only a few hours drive. If you leave at six in the morning; you can be there before 1 AM; and have the sun at your back. Oh, I forgot; your buying the drinks. :D

Uncle Bob

I've been invited; but, deleted post and moved to announcement of meeting; sorry, wrong thread.

RC Cola and a moon pie. :D

You; Kind Sir, have the hospitality of a true Southern Gentleman.

Uncle Bob

Since I wasn't invited, I might just have to meet up with you guys Wednesday for the brainstorming session.........oh, and the drinks. ;)

Fatboy, we can tell them that I don't speak English; and your my interpreter. They will have to let you in.

Here is the agenda and schedule;

General Agenda:

Introductions with ICC Senior Management.

Discuss Customer Feedback to date and solicit more details.

Discuss proposed changes.

Demonstrate a new platform/design and collaborate on improvements.

Discuss ideas for Usage Policy

We need to plan our approach and presentations to coincide with this agenda. If we don't follow the agenda, much of what we propose will be lost, because it is not submitted at the correct time.

If we are not organized; we lose; the ICC forum loses; and ICC loses.

Uncle Bob

Listen folks,

This is not a Baltimore meeting; it's different folks with different agendas. In Baltimore; ya'll were meeting with the people who removed the forum in the first place; they had already made the decision to get rid of the Bulletin Board; and, that little meet & greet was to brush us off.

This meeting, in Denver, is to bring back, what the ICC lost as a result of removing the old forum; and, the ICC is paying for us to help renew the forum and make it better; and they are paying our expenses because the people at ICC now understand that the Forum was an asset; and, that we are the folks who know how to make it better.

If we attend the meeting with closed minds, a chip on our sholders, bad attitudes, and empty heads (no ideas to contribute); then we are doing the many people we represent a great disservise. They did not invite us the Denver to listen to them. They invited us so they could listen to us.

Now, I'm just an old retired building inspector; but, most of ya'll are leaders. You have positions that deal with enormous responsibilities. Now, is a time to show that leadership; and, represent the thousands of Building Officials, Engineers, Architects, Plan Reviewers, Builders, Contratctors, Corporate Representatives, Inspectors, and others; that contributed to the old Forum; and depended on the old Forum for information and advice. Your not doing this for the ICC; your doing it for these folks.

You all have been to numerous meetings and know what an agenda is; and how to follow it; and, what to contribute at each phase of the agenda. Now, write down the agenda we have been given; and, start writing down presentations that will contribute to the success of our goals; in a professional manner.

We are not there to listen; they are there to listen; and they are paying to here what we have to contribute. If we have nothing to contribute to the goals of the meeting; then we might as well stay home and bitch about how unfair the ICC is.

I'm not asking you to post your ideas here; but, please be prepared to present them at the meeting. And, have handouts available for those attending.

Uncle Bob

Well said UB

Demonstrate a new platform/design and collaborate on improvements. this sounds like those in attendance may acually see a new BB that the ICC wants input on before launching JMHO.

The fact that "they're paying" does not mean that all is well in Cash Cow Land. When someone bends me over, I'm not going to be bought off by the price of a plane ticket.

Now, I'm in no way implying that any of you are so myopic as to have your opinion swayed by a plane ride and a bad meal, but I also think you're naive if you think that holding a meeting and telling you they're "listening" makes up for all previous transgressions.

Let's be careful about wearing those rose-colored glasses just because "they're paying".

I suspect they are looking for real input in that the current ICC website fell flat on its face and did not get back up--this is for a number of reasons that I will get into during the meeting.

This forum has gotten some of the regulars into the discussions but does not have the volumn or public participation of the old ICC BB.

We need to see the ICC succeed in that they are the main code making body left standing. IAPMO and NFPA have places, but I suspect that if the ICC falls we are looking at a federal code that would be more influenced by lobbying and rent seeking than the current ICC and NFPA processes are.

my 2 cents worth -

1. dump the 'pay to play' idea, equal access for all

2. format new BB like the old BB, easy to navigate; like this board

3. proper 'tagging' on main ICC page - call it like it is, a BB......Communities of Interest my tush.......

Sue

I've been looking at the addition of chat rooms. You don't have to have them within the organization; you can set them up and link to them (removing responsiblity for content). They make it possible to visit and discuss things in real time; without worrying about taking the original post off subject. It's also a good tool to brain-storm ideas, networking, and to better get to know your peers.

Here is a site I found and joined to see what was involved. It is free and has additional options that you can pay for; but, this is a good example of what you can do.

(be careful if you have a webcam on your laptop; When I signed on, I wasn't wearing a shirt and didn't know that the laptop webcamera was automatic) I had no idea I could still move that fast. :oops:

Join for free and you will see some of the advantages;

http://www.christianchatcity.com/

This is only an example. It would be nice if we could visit in real time.

Just a thought,

Uncle Bob

I believe ICC knows what they've lost and they are reaching out to former "senior members" to work the issues. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt on that. My ICC membership is important to me - it's a personal credential that not all my competitors have. The publication discount is nice, but I can get that by way of my employer also.

My membership is "mine".. I'm beholding to anyone else to maintain it. I'd like to see the old BB to go back to what it was.. but I like it here. Don't think "they" aren't watching what happens "here".