• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

New Thread - What to recommend to ICC re: Bulletin Board/Forum

For those that already bought airline tickets (I'm driving); I hope you got the "refundable" ticket. After reading this thread; and, they are reading this thread; we might find the meeting is cancelled at the last minute.

By the way; I've been wondering why Denver was chosen. I can't find anything on the ICC site about the meeting. Does ICC have a Denver office?

Uncle Bob

+ + + +

It might be an assassination meeting! :eek:

Nobody drink the Kool Aid, ...eeeerrr, the beer,

...eeeerrr, the liquor, ...eeeerrr, the iced tea,

...eeeerr, the water, ...eeeerrr anything. :D

+ + + +

Uncle Bob said:
and, they are reading this thread
I hope so. Specifically, I hope whoever Michael Armstrong reports to is reading it.

Isn't it ironic that anybody can read, and even participate in "our" bulletin board?

Last edited by a moderator:
Enjoy my membership money you all! No office in Denver! My guess is that Denver was chosen because it is a mile high and there won't be any trace of the hot air rising in the oxygen depleted sky over the city.

I suspected Denver was picked due to the geographical neutralness of a it, and being larger city/airport. I think it's good that they are opening up dialog. But I will be even more P.O.'ed if nothing comes of this and it was a massive waste of money. (see RJJ's recent comments)

And yes, I hope they are reading these forums, daily. When they shut down the old forum with pretty much a "screw you all" attitude, it ticked a lot of folks off, including me. If the old forum is reinstated, or made even better, I would pop in, but this is my "go too" site, and will be until it is ever shut down.

Logic 101:

FEMA leadership is a failure.

ICC hires FEMA leadership.

Therefore, ICC leadership is a failure.

I'm think, that when the ICC reps read these threads; they don't realize that the people writing these posts are; for the most part, responsible professionals (not counting me); Buidling Officials, Master Code Professionals, Engineers, Architects, and others with many years of experience and expertise.

Probably why they don't appreciate the seriousness of what is said here. The problem is they don't take us seriously; and that may be their downfall.

That and hiring outsiders who have zero knowledge of code administration and application.

Uncle bob

Pack: I would only agree in part! There are good people at ICC. There was an original scope and direction for a one code group organization. This original idea has been lost! They are loosing members and defending issues.

Problem is that those in power have made poor decisions. The closing of the old BB is just a minor one. I believe you will find members that feel the same as we do, all over the country. It is just not organized yet! AND I MEAN YET! The rank and file sheep that follow blindly will still pay the dues and buy the books etc. We also have all fallen into this trap, however, some are starting to raise questions. Maybe a little late,but nonetheless ICC is battling issues on many fronts. Texasbo stated we have blooded their nose. Jp has threatened to kick them in the brass. Denver,may be interesting. My feeling is that if they make the wrong move, problems will just accelerate. Remember we have the power if ink, or in today's terms cyberspace.

Uncle Bob said:
I'm think, that when the ICC reps read these threads; they don't realize that the people writing these posts are; for the most part, responsible professionals (not counting me); Buidling Officials, Master Code Professionals, Engineers, Architects, and others with many years of experience and expertise.Probably why they don't appreciate the seriousness of what is said here. The problem is they don't take us seriously; and that may be their downfall.

That and hiring outsiders who have zero knowledge of code administration and application.

Uncle bob
If they realize nothing else, they should realize that we are also voting members who have and will work hard to get members on and off the Board.

Peach: They may not kill you, but make sure you cover UB"6.

North Star: I don't disagree with you often, but not updating codes, renewing memberships will not serve us well or the public we in the end serve. This is a large fish and it will take a great deal of tack to land it. The beginning part is the discussion and raising issue that we can agree on and attract other with similar mind sets to join and raise the bar.

RJJ,

I just do not see a reason for ICC to change, ...other than a financial one.

It has cost a ton of money for ICC to get where they are today. What

do you think, is going to encourage them to change?

RJJ:

What about all the government members here getting together and sponsoring several of our own for membership on the Board?

I nominate Uncle Bob and Packsaddle.

Uncle Bob found and posted earlier;

March 27, 2007

ICC Hires New Head of Member Services Team, Prepares for Codes Forum in May

As part of an organizational restructuring to provide enhanced services to members, the International Code Council (ICC) named Michael Armstrong Senior Vice President of its Member Services Division. The division includes membership, training and education, certification, and meeting and travel services.

"The new Member Services Division, by incorporating training, certification, member support and meetings, will have customer service as its primary mission," said Armstrong. "Our division plans to leverage our skills and relationships across the ICC family to provide support that is responsive and relevant to the needs of our customers."

The more I think about this guy being in charge when the old BB was jerked out from under us; the more disappointed I get in myself for not researching this earlier.

I must be slowing down,

Uncle Bob

CA: You make me LOL! And I need that this morning in a big way!

I believe we would need to consider many things first. Not to say UB and Pack are not good choices.

All fun aside, I would say that a board position is quite a commitment. It is a post of extreme responsibility and should not be considered lightly. I applaud those who have chosen to sever as Board members and all that work at ICC. It has many fine elements. We may bash and complain and raise questions for change, but we need to understand the full element of the organization. I don't think we are ready for such an undertaking. There is much work to do in order to achieve such a goal. A candidate for office may not even be a part of this BB yet or there may be one among us. I believe we must define our goals, a mission and the first part of that will begin with those going to Denver. Then we will need majority of us to agree and commit on working forward to achieve those goals.

Further, the most important thing we can do now is to reach out to others we know and bring them to the BB. I am sure we all know other members of ICC that are not players here. Some are busy and some don't care what happens while some are just not informed.

If ICC will not provide remote voting, we can provide the first part of the link to get that accomplished. We still need numbers.

Why is it that there are no (is not) any participation on this board by any ICC staff acting/posting in thier official capacities?

aaaaaaaa, because that would be them acknowleging our existence? They didn't get involved with their own BB, (the old one) other than the Moderator.

Yankee said:
Why is it that there are no (is not) any participation on this board by any ICC staff acting/posting in thier official capacities?
Maybe they're not sure they would be welcome. Has anyone extended an invitation? I agree; it would be nice to have them here, and I'm sure everyone would welcome them, although the questions and comments would be many, and intense.

But they never even really participated much on their own board, other than to yank posts they didn't like.

There was one ICC employee who posted on the old BB (mostly mechanical). I believe his handle was "dsjtecserv" or something like that. He corrected me on several occasions when I screwed up. I do miss the old grouch. It's like he would wait for me to screw up and then pounce. :D

Uncle Bob