• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

New tool.

Nice, good tip. Thanks!

I also release some air after the test and when asked why I say it's to make sure the needle actually moves, which is true, but actually it's to get an idea of how much volume is actually being tested. It's only happened once, but one time I was witnessing a gas pressure test that was supposed to be the whole building, when I released some air the needle dropped all the way to zero practically instantaneously. Turns out they had only a 10" piece of pipe with a cap jammed in the wall under test. Fail!

An old timer told me to always check for a sulfur smell. I thought he was talking about the stink put in natural gas but he meant road flair. I seems that a small leak can be hidden by putting a piece of road flair in the pipe and lighting it on fire. The gauge goes on while the flair is burning and the gasses given off by the burning flair will seal a small leak.

I too have encountered frozen gauges. It's only been a few times and they act surprised. The most usual mistake is a 100 lb. psi gauge. I have seen those and maxed out.