• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

NFPA Certified Fire Inspector Program

itsasurewin

Bronze Member
Hi everyone,

I was looking at the certification program offered through NFPA (Certified Fire Inspector 1) to get certified as Fire Inspector. Is this program worth taking?

Your feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Cherwin

welcome

so sounding rude already, it nfpa certifies you, does not make you an inspector, but some places may want the certifiaction just to apply.

I thought I looked at it a few weeks back, you cannot just take the test????

Haven't taken that one yet. I can tell you that the Certified Fire Protection Specilist program is excellent. Tough exam though. Had to take that one twice. I just passed ICC Fire Inspector-1 last month. Not bad at all. hope this helps and Welcome!

Thanks for the response cda.

I currently work as a fire inspector. I've read the requirements and meet or exceed them all. I just wanted to know if it's really worth taking. A certification doesn't meen anything if you don't know what you're doing. I've notice in the local fire inspector end and seem to have to have this at the end of their name.

jpranch said:
Haven't taken that one yet. I can tell you that the Certified Fire Protection Specilist program is excellent. Tough exam though. Had to take that one twice. I just passed ICC Fire Inspector-1 last month. Not bad at all. hope this helps and Welcome!
Thanks jpranch. I'm actually in the process of studying for the CFPS exam. Is it really that tough? Any tips?

As an instructor for the NFPA FI-I, FI-II and Plans Examiner certification programs, I would strongly say yes. The course modules give the student the basis for understanding the use and flow of code. Unlike the ICC fire inspector certification process, NFPA has a strong educational course component and practium phase. From experience and especially during the course of having to testify occasionally; the educational hours and course work aid in qualifying if challenged by meeting the only recognized professional standard NFPA 1031.

Not trying to hijack JP but regarding the CFPS exam......tabbing the FP Handbook (don't over tab though) and highliting the index is paramount. I would also recommend taking the 2-day primer course before sitting for the exam. Best wishes on gaining your certifications.

Fm

do you have to take the course in order to take the test???

I was looking at it because a private sector job required it

CDA,

As a CFPS NO you do not have to take the course, BUT your chances of passing the 1st time will certainly go up if you take the course. If not you need to know the 2 volume fire protection handbook VERY well. The key is reading the question and say oh that is a deluge sprinkler question and deluge systems are in chapter 12, 3 pages in. You can waste a lot of time looking in the index and you will never finish on time. Tabing the index and knowing your wayaround the book will certanly help. Also knowing the anwser to about 50% of the questions with out having to look it up will help too...:).

THE CFPS is highly recognized in the insurance world and private sector.

I took the Pro-Board route, then ICC, then PA Labor & Industry. Pro-Board and NFPA are the way to go. The fire inspector cert through ICC is a joke imo.

Cda,

Ditto to what InsEng says. I don't have my CFPS yet since I missed the 1st go round of the primer course due to a arson homicide trial I couldn't delay testimony on. Now I'm trying to come up with the scratch to challenge it or waiting for the next primer offered through our organization's training. Like Ins says, know the Handbook and how to get to the relevant section where the question pertains. If using the highlited Index, trusted word on the street says highlite only one volume's index.

Very, very good advice here. FM, "NFPA has a strong educational course component and practium phase." They sure do. Good stuff.

I've not taken the Fire Inspector exam, but I have taken the Fire Service Instructor I exam. I highly recommend taking the course before taking the exam.

Thanks everyone for your input. I'll definitely do the Fire Inspector 1 certification offered through NFPA. Also, thanks for the advise on the CFPS. I think i'm about ready to write the exam and know how to find my way around the book.

Keep in mind that your local state or jurisdiction may not recognize all certification programs.

Here in Florida for example, neither the ICC nor the NFPA fire inspector certifications are recognized for licensure. FS 633 Fire Safety Inspectors here in Florida must satisfy a state certification program.

On the other hand, building inspectors & plans examiners are required to obtain ICC certifications to become licensed. No other inspector / plans examiners certifications are recognized...

I already got FP and plan examiner designation through a fire school here in TX. However, if I were to do it again I would like to go the NFPA route, I've done several of their courses and found them to be really good, expensive though. Here in Tx you have to take a test through the Tx Commission on Fire Protection which licenses all of the firefighters, investigators and the like. I thought the test was very easy for Fire Inspector. That said, I prepared myself for battle too.

BS

Question:

Does the CFPS exam focus only on NFPA 1 or is it a generic test that say if you are under the ICC codes you would do fine?

Also, I am seriously thinking about buying the NFPA Fire Protection Manual....is this also of the "generic" code referencing type?

Yes but be prepared to know the referenced standards as well. Such as NFPA 101, 72, 13, 220, etc... Very comprehensive exam.

Have you checked to see if the National Fire Academy has any openings in their courses for this topic? They offer training for governmental employees at very little expense as they reimburse most of your expenses for travel. You can check out their courses at their website - http://www.usfa.dhs.gov/nfa/

Also, you might check with your state fire marshal's office to see what the state's training office may have to offer.