• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

NFPA Certified Fire Inspector Program

I was just wondering about nfpa heard rumor class is not being taught

Have been to nfa about 11 times enjoy it every time!!!!!!

Ok I am lost

For nfpa fire insp cert you can

Challenge the test

Or

I thought you went through a class?? Or at least that is what I thought nfpa told me

Is it a set down class or self study or none???

cda said:
Ok I am lostFor nfpa fire insp cert you can

Challenge the test

Or

I thought you went through a class?? Or at least that is what I thought nfpa told me

Is it a set down class or self study or none???
From my understanding the Certified Fire Inspector course offered through NFPA is a self-study course (They provide you a couple assignments that you must complete within two months then study the required materials (NFPA 25, NFPA 10, etc.) then once your ready you can request to write the written exam.

I was getting lost too when we went to the CFPS discussion. One may challenge the FI-I, FI-II, FPE or for that matter the CFPS tests at any time but must also meet the practium phases and any prerequisites and be able to provide official documentation of accomplishment. The tests can be challenged by submitting request to Lori at NFPA Certification Programs and going through some hoops to set it all up for "proctor" challenge.

PS - The Fire Inspector I course is made of 4 modules. I typically teach III & IV through a "partnering agency"

Mod 1 - Admin/Laws

Mod II - (Sorry forgot)

Mod III - Life Safety Code & Means of Egress

Mod IV - Fire Alarm & Detection and Suppression Systems

ModV - Hazardous Materials

The Fire Inspector II course goes more in depth on water supplies and construction methods while the Fire Plans Examiner brings them all together in learning how to read blueprints as they relate to details for fire protection and rated assemblies.

As Its-a-win said also, one can receive a practium phase to do at their own own facilities and in their own station with a senior qualified inspector or chief's supervision and have that evaluated and deemed acceptable. The course work is mainly to meet the 1031 standard. It is similar to the two state certification programs I went through in Florida and now here. BTW for Florida re-certification all I had to do was take a 4-hour block in Ocala on state amendments to NFPA 1.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Everyone,

I am planning to apper for CFI - I exam -- Need your expert advice & guidance for exam prepration and reference books to be referred.

Thanks in adanvance.

Hello everyone,

I am currently waiting to get approved to take my Florida Firesafety inspector state test. While I'm waiting do you guys have any tips I should do before taking the exam?

Ok

Tab each chapter

Tab index

Tab table of contents

And generally know what chapter the question might come from

Say a sprinkler install question chapter.....

Adamsymonette said:
Hello everyone, I am currently waiting to get approved to take my Florida Firesafety inspector state test. While I'm waiting do you guys have any tips I should do before taking the exam?
I would say read the required material. http://www.myfloridacfo.com/division/sfm/bfst/Documents/EXAMREF_FireSafetyInspector.pdf

If you have building/construction basics down and you'll have florida prevention code book with you (which is based off of NFPA 1 and 101), then I would say study the IFSTA book and know your way around the Florida prevention code book.

Have you been through the Fire Inspector Certification Program?

Having went through the Florida certifications years ago while employed down the road from you in Palm Beach County and helping write the pilot classes and tests for NFPA FI-1, II and Plans Examiner when they were developed, I can say take the Certification course if you can.

I'll be jumping into the FI-1 cert. program soon.

Sending in my $390 for test packet and reference materials this month. $90 seems like a good deal for the books!

FM William Burns said:
Have you been through the Fire Inspector Certification Program?

Having went through the Florida certifications years ago while employed down the road from you in Palm Beach County and helping write the pilot classes and tests for NFPA FI-1, II and Plans Examiner when they were developed, I can say take the Certification course if you can.
Yes I have taken all the courses required