• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

NM cable exposed

McShan

Bronze Member
Can NM cable be run exposed in a detached building? We use the 2011 NEC it seems to me that 334.15 would require it to protected from physical damage. It is a wood frames building metal siding, basically a pole barn used as a detached building in a residential area.

We allow it in unfinished framed walls, and above/in framed ceiling/roofs. Nailplates as required.

there are no framed walls just 2X6's bolted to 6X6's so the wire is on the purlin for lack of a better word, I'm thinking its unprotected and and should fall under 334.15 but I'm not sure.

Unless 334.15 was changed from 2008-2011, fastening NM to the side of framing, to running boards, or through holes bored in the framing can be considered "protected" from damage.

IMO, it may be run exposed but it must follow the construction but it must be a building that is associated with a dwelling and not a commercial building- 334.10 The protection from damage is always an authority having jurisdiction call. In general if you follow the framing they usually allow it around here.