• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

No flashing.

ICE

Oh Well
I was there for a drywall inspection. The roofer stated that he was done and asked me to final the roof so he could get paid.

I wondered why there was no flashing around the cupola. The roofer said he didn't need flashing because he roofed under it and could show me. They had no intention of securing it.

IMG_3086.jpg

IMG_3087.jpg

I guess because it contained a birdhouse they wanted the ability to remove it for cleaning. Certainly a good thought except the birds probably wouldn't appreciate being blown around when it fell over during high winds! Depending on local codes it probably is OK as far as roofing goes but I certainly think in most jurisdictions it would fail for some other reason, not exactly sure what off the top of my head.

Msradell said:
Depending on local codes it probably is OK as far as roofing goes but I certainly think in most jurisdictions it would fail for some other reason, not exactly sure what off the top of my head.
It was the top of your head that made me wonder about what I was seeing. I can't put a finger on a code for it either. This was a house flip and the cupula was existing so there wasn't a plan to follow. I made a plan to follow. The cupula is gone and so is the flipper.

No flashing but were close to bein' mooned!

Where's your fall protection or bubble wrap!

Roof vents?

pc1

ICE said:
I was there for a drywall inspection. The roofer stated that he was done and asked me to final the roof so he could get paid.I wondered why there was no flashing around the cupola. The roofer said he didn't need flashing because he roofed under it and could show me. They had no intention of securing it.

IMG_3086.jpg

IMG_3087.jpg
Dude, Repeat after me. "Haul the cupola down off the roof till I'm gone." I'll issue the CO from the office.

Cornsidering the other pics you've posted, you've got bigger fish to fry.

Bill

In California it would need to be anchored because of seismic and wind. Other parts of the country wind would be a concern.

I have to believe that where the cupola rests on the shingles the singles would have a shorter life.