• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

No header required for cantilever

jar546

Forum Coordinator
Nice find upon gutting this post fire house:

IMAG0205-1.jpg

IMAG0204-1.jpg

Must be why they left the blocking out at the cantilever - so when they shut the door, the joists are allowed to rotate to give the door enough clearance at the top??

Two thoughts come to mind:

1 - I'm amazed that the door was functional and this was not a forced repair (I can't get out of my house!)

2 - Also amazed at the lack of deflection - the flooring "system" is truely functioning as a system in this area.

What's above it?

At least you got your double studs?

Door manufacture wants. shims installed!

When the door is closed, the joists are properly supported. A simple note on the door indicating that it should not be opened would solve the problem. (I expect there is another code complaint exit.)

Providing the tenants are of light build and relatively sedentary and given a spot of good weather, I think we're on to a winner here.

The quick fix would be to put a beam above the door and hanger the joists from it, providing they could get bearing down to the foundation on each side.

High Desert said:
The quick fix would be to put a beam above the door and hanger the joists from it, providing they could get bearing down to the foundation on each side.
hd,

not! the cantilevered joists hung from a beam over the door only? george roberts probably could make it pencil out though!