• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

No mud ... not taped

ICE said:
That is table R302.6 and I just noticed an odd thing about that table. In the past, the support for a separation had to be equal to or better than the actual separation. That's not the case anymore. The lid requirement for habitable space above a garage is 5/8" type X but the walls supporting the lid can be 1/2" gypsum.This is a good example of the value of this forum. I've been getting it wrong since we adopted the IRC and might not have known if I hadn't become curious about the table that Francis mentioned. So I have been getting it wrong and I will continue to be wrong but at least I know it now.

I may have known this already and forgotten it already and found it again. That seems to happen with me. So there's another benefit of this forum. Coming here is one way to exercise the muscle.
We deleted the table and made the amendment that "the garage shall be separated by 5/8" fire code gypsum board, type X".

ICE

FYI this requirement for fastening gypsum ceilings is also missed at times.

TABLE R702.3.5

MINIMUM THICKNESS AND APPLICATION OF GYPSUM BOARD

e. Type X gypsum board for garage ceilings beneath habitable rooms shall be installed perpendicular to the ceiling framing and shall be fastened at maximum 6 inches o.c. by minimum 17/8 inches 6d coated nails or equivalent drywall screws.