• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Non-accessible door width

Kendra

I am working on a commercial project and there is an existing exterior door that opens to stairs down to the back patio. We have a separate ADA entrance, so don't need this to be accessible, but the door itself is only 32", which means the opening is a bit less than that. We want to replace the door, but do we also have to cut the rough opening to make it bigger? It is an older brick building and I would hate to cut into the facade.

Thank you!

Does Philadelphia use the International Existing Building Code? It might have a provision allowing the door to remain if it isn't a required exit.

No, that was an interior door. This is an exterior door from the same office. It already exists, I am just trying to figure out if we have to increase the rough opening width.
If you are changing just the door on a building that was legal when built I can't see a need for a permit much less a bigger door. Okay, I understand that there might be a requirement for a permit....I just don't see the need.