• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Non-contact rebar splices

Back to it depends on the AHJ. We have a lot of clay here and per an engineering report adopted long before I got here, due to the differential settlement we require 24"D X 12"W footings with a minimum of 2 #5 rebars.

Back to it depends on the AHJ. We have a lot of clay here and per an engineering report adopted long before I got here, due to the differential settlement we require 24"D X 12"W footings with a minimum of 2 #5 rebars.
This sounds like you are imposing requirements that are not stated in the adopted building code. What am I missing?

This sounds like you are imposing requirements that are not stated in the adopted building code. What am I missing?
What you are probably missing is that based on the finding of the engineering report, the municipality had their engineer review it and come up with an amendment to the building code which they adopted by ordinance for the good of the community. Perfectly legal. You read into it your way and I will read into it my way.

We have a standard footing, stem wall and anchor bolt spacing that was prepared for the city by a local engineer back in the 90's. We have had it reviewed twice since then for compliance with the IRC and no changes were required. It works for our seismic zone with 9 ft basement walls and 3 story wood frame above that. Is it adopted? No because the state does not permit an AHJ to amend the code. Is it compliant with R104.11? Yes and an option that every residential builder even uses out in the county where all residential construction is exempt from the IRC because the state does not enforce it and there is no county building department.

LA County has the entire range of soil types. Long ago it was decided to classify every property as expansive soil. An applicant has the option of producing an engineered soil report or follow a standard plan of 24”D x12”W with 2-#4 rebar at the top and 2-#4 rebar at the bottom.

Given the size of the county, I suppose there are some areas with lots of sand and post tensioned slabs with a lesser footing requirement.

It is worth noting that a typical residential lot might have more than one soil classification present.

Well 12 x 6 footings per IRC are fine here for one story framed buildings, and no rebar required - but it is encouraged and pretty common. Still wondering about wet sticking dowels as allowed by ACI 332 and therefore by the IRC.

As jar546 said it was legally adopted thru ordinance. We are not allow to be less then what the State requires but we can adopt more restrictive requirements if needed. During the process the lawyers look it over as well. Wouldn't be any different than Code Enforcement enforcing weeds, trash & debris ect. I'm not a lawyer any more than i'm an engineer. If it's adopted building code it my job to enforce that code. No more & no less either. Some of us do know how to stay in our lane.