• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Non Separated Occ. Hotel A-2, R1

Nairda.cld

Hello all and thank you for this website. This is my first post and I am hoping to get some help.

Building a hotel VA construction, 4 stories sprinklered. Bearing walls are to be 1HR rating. 1st floor to have all the hotel amenities when you enter (assembly), and then from the lobby there will be a corridor leading to first floor rooms and elevators to go up to other floors. That part of the first floor and upper floors will be Residential R1.

Residential use are to be 0.5 hr with 20 min rating per IBC 708.3 exception 1.
Assembly space corridors do not need to be rated per 1020.1

We have designed the building to most restrictive use A2.

I do not think that i need to separate the Residential area with a fire rated door and panic hardware from the A2 space in the first floor, however i have other people thinking otherwise. Do you guys have any thoughts to the matter?

IBC 2015 Vermont . To me The residential rooms are located inside the Assembly space and the corridor is an assembly corridor.

A-2 is limited to 3 stories for Type VA buildings. In my opinion, the A-2 would need to be separated from the rest of the building in order to exceed 3 stories. Alternatively, you could provide the separation between any of the floors, and this would keep the portion of the building with A-2 from exceeding 3 stories. Thoughts from others? I was able to dig up an older thread with a very similar discussion: https://www.thebuildingcodeforum.co...building-and-non-separated-occupancies.31285/

Hi there,

Thank you for the response. However, the response is for horizontal separation between floors. This is being provided as 1hr. The challenge is in between lobby / gym and other amenities on the first floor and the rooms corridor that leads to it. I do not believe a door to separate the corridor serving the rooms and the lobby is required.

Hope this is a better rephrase of the "challenge"

A full restaurant is usually separated from the rest of the building, but the breakfast area is almost always open to the lobby and corridors. I wonder if it is considered an accessory occupancy, especially if it seats less than 50 people.

IBC 2015 Vermont . To me The residential rooms are located inside the Assembly space and the corridor is an assembly corridor.

How can hotel rooms ("sleeping units" in code language) be located "inside" an assembly space? My immediate reaction is that this is not possible. Can you post a floor plan?