• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Nonaccessible lavatories: minimum spacing in code?

Yikes

Gold Member
I need to reconfigure an existing multi-user restroom for ADA. To get more space for ADA fixtures, I need to relocate the non-ADA wall-hung lavs, squishing them together as closely as possible.
In the past, for a 17" wide x 19" deep wall-hung nonaccessible lav, I've typically seen (A) 15" from and adjacent side wall to centerline of lav, and (B) 30" o/c for all other sinks thereafter.
Are either of them CODE minimums, or can I go less than that for either (A) or (B)?

(If they are in a code, please help me find the actual reference. Thanks!)

405.3.1 Water closets, urinals, lavatories and bidets. A
water closet, urinal, lavatory or bidet shall not be set closer
than 15 inches (381 mm) from its center to any side wall,

partition, vanity or other obstruction, or closer than 30
inches (762 mm) center to center between adjacent fixtures.
There shall be not less than a 21-inch (533 mm)
clearance in front of the water closet, urinal, lavatory or
bidet to any wall, fixture or door. Water closet compartments
shall be not less than 30 inches (762 mm) in width
and not less than 60 inches (1524 mm) in depth for floormounted
water closets and not less than 30 inches (762
mm) in width and 56 inches (1422 mm) in depth for wallhung
water closets.

405.3.1 Water closets, urinals, lavatories and bidets. A
water closet, urinal, lavatory or bidet shall not be set closer
than 15 inches (381 mm) from its center to any side wall,

partition, vanity or other obstruction, or closer than 30
inches (762 mm) center to center between adjacent fixtures.
There shall be not less than a 21-inch (533 mm)
clearance in front of the water closet, urinal, lavatory or
bidet to any wall, fixture or door. Water closet compartments
shall be not less than 30 inches (762 mm) in width
and not less than 60 inches (1524 mm) in depth for floormounted
water closets and not less than 30 inches (762
mm) in width and 56 inches (1422 mm) in depth for wallhung
water closets.
Thanks, Steve Ray. I just now found it in the California Plumbing Code in 402.5 "Setting". Apparently, CPC is similar, except that it is silent on lavatories, and it lets urinals be closer: 12" to a side wall, and 24" center-to-center.

1611276380732.png

Set the lav back and you can get your sink and water closet closer. Use a short grab bar behind the water closet. Use a short lav that is wall hung. You only need to fit clear floor space inside the small toilet room.

Back in the day, 1927' published refs indicated 30" min. for stalls when folks were skinnyer. 1/2 of 30 = 15"

Thanks everybody, but to repeat, the original question is solely about spacing of NON-ACCESSIBLE lavatories, not accessible fixtures.
The only thing in the CPC is ..."The clear space in front of a water closet, lavatory, or bidet shall be not less than 24 inches..." So, I read that as 24" wide by 24" deep.

1611930898370.png