• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Not per reviewed drawings

jar546

Forum Coordinator
I had a rough, underground plumbing inspection the other day. Upon arrival to the job site I asked the plumbing contractor if there were any changes vs the prints. His response was "No, but we did not follow them to the T". Knowing that what is on paper does not always transmit to something workable, I assumed there were some minor changes that he took advantage of to save labor, pipe, etc. This was not the case.

The first thing that I noticed is that of the 10 FD's, only 2 of them were properly vented. Some, in groups, were over 30' from a vent that was a wet vent. Nothing was actually making sense but I was still trucking along in the inspection because the contractor was well mannered, answered questions without betting defensive and remained professional. I finally said we need to go look at the prints. I don't always look at the prints first until I get an idea of what was done first.

When we looked at the prints, it became obvious that not only did he change the venting, pipe sizes, etc., but also the locations of floor drains and clean outs. So rather than meticulously list all of the deficiencies with the installation my paperwork simply failed the inspection and stated "Not per submitted/reviewed drawings". Our verbal conversation covered the issues and I had to explain to him that an engineer took the time to design to design the system correctly and we were paid to do the review and agreed that the design met the minimum IPC standards. He, however, decided to change the installation and in doing so created multiple venting violations and clean out location violations.

Now the good part. What do you think he asked? Yes, you got it. "What do you want?" he asked me. I stated that I don't want anything but he needs to have a code compliant installation for inspection. I gave him 2 options. Option 1: Plumb it per the drawings. Option 2: Have the RDP redesign it to match what you did, seal the new drawings and submit for review. He chose option #1.

So, my question is: At what point do you simply document a simple statement like I did rather than list all of the deficiencies in the installation?

if any job is this far off the mark in terms of not being even close to the plans then yes, a simple statement "System not installed per approved plans, correct all deviations and call when ready for reinspection." I also advise people to consult with the RDP when in doubt.

Agree with both - JAR and BG. A few shortcuts to save time & maybe simplify things are OK as long as the installation is compliant and substantially according to the plans. When the whole thing is out of whack and the plumber has created this many violations, sorry buddy but you did this to yourself, call for reinspect when you get it fixed.

Some one could have called the CEO and asked for an onsite conversation before the install got that far, but they didn't.

Depending on job size, I would stop after about 10 corrections (written on site)......small plan review after about 20.....at some point so many things need to change that it may affect others and is not feasible to guess as to how the corrections may occur...

It depends on the day I am having. If I have 17 sites to visit, I may not have time to list every violation. Last week on a footing inspection I observed the following corrections on a 700 sq. ft addition: Bottom steel laying in the dirt, footing 8" shy of the depth required, no discernible layout for anchor bolts, much missing slab steel, slab steel laying on the sand, shear segments with no anchor bolts, missing SSTBs, short walls with one anchor bolt at the middle, plumbing not wrapped, missing interior footing, missing pad footing, missing uffer, and more.

Because I was in a hurry, I addressed the anchor bolts with a generic statement to install anchor bolts and SSTBs per plan. The contractor offered me a magic marker and told me, not asked me but told me, to mark where each anchor bolt and SSTB is missing. I wanted to draw a big black X on his forehead. He called the office to complain that I wouldn't explain the corrections and he wants a different inspector.

Sounds correct to me Jar. In fact, we have done similar. Not per approved plans. Have DP submit new drawings with amendment form for review or correct to approved plans.

We would have handled it the same way. In some cases, if the inspector's list of violations to be corrected is looking more like a punch list, or as you stated, deviates from the RDP's design, we will make a general statement and give them the two options you described. I have seen departments let this go when I was on the other side of the counter, and ultimately the end result was a lawsuit or insurance settlement.

Papio Bldg Dept said:
We would have handled it the same way. In some cases, if the inspector's list of violations to be corrected is looking more like a punch list, or as you stated, deviates from the RDP's design, we will make a general statement and give them the two options you described. I have seen departments let this go when I was on the other side of the counter, and ultimately the end result was a lawsuit or insurance settlement.
I agree, great point. Thanks