• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Notching poles for beams

@ ~ @

Buzz,

Welcome to the Building Codes Forum ! :cool:

If it were my project, I would use a chain saw
to make the horizontal cuts on the poles.
Keeping in mind to "fine tune" the cuts so
they are not too deep.......I have seen some
people use a chain saw as skillful as some
surgeons use their lawyers.

@ ~ @

Years ago I worked for a contractor that got a job to build a pole barn. We stood the poles and worked the tops with a chainsaw. As I recall. it was a notch on both sides.

I was in a forklift basket when I hit something hard that was embedded in the pole. That dulled the chain so I had to stop and get a different saw. When I looked down, the guy on the forklift was gone. I hollered for him and here came the contractor. He had reassigned the guy on the forklift. When I asked him how he thought I was supposed to get down he said that I could climb down. The next pay check came in the mail.

I once sawed down the entire length of a 16 penny nail with a beam saw. That was a bit upsetting to think that I just dulled a $100 blade. The nail was blued and it looked liked I did it on purpose. It was a perfect 1/2 of a nail...right down to the tip. I might still have it somewhere.

Last edited:
@north star thanks for the welcome. yes I have used a chainsaw before but maybe because the chain is not
designed for ripping I can not get a nice angle

@ICE yes the poles are to be notched both sides.....do you remember if the saw you used had a ripping chain ? maybe that
will help me.......people like that contractor you dont want to work for if they dont take safety first.

@north star thanks for the welcome. yes I have used a chainsaw before but maybe because the chain is not
designed for ripping I can not get a nice angle

@ICE yes the poles are to be notched both sides.....do you remember if the saw you used had a ripping chain ? maybe that
will help me.......people like that contractor you dont want to work for if they dont take safety first.
I don't think there was a ripping chain....mostly because I didn't know that there is such a thing.

As far as what contractor to work for....in those days you could pretty much take your pick. Contractors would show up at the restaurants before work trying to hire. Now all of the restaurants are shut down.

Last edited:
I wonder if that notching could be done with a portable band saw? Tool rental?