• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Now that we have a designer forum

Re: Now that we have a designer forum

Yes, that's me. I'm sure we'll get some more activity as soon as we get more people. I just been busy the last few days. Some of the trick is getting topics started.

Rick,

I'm really into fall colors and pastels. Well, Pooh guess that doesn't count.

The great thing about this Bulletin Board is that we can make any thread we feel the need for.

Now, you've got your own thread.

Kool,

Uncle Bob

And now that you have your own thread, your posts seem remarkably short ;) What's up with THAT? :D

I'll soon put in some more conversation in regards to it. It's there to differentiate building designers / interior designer work from architect & draftsmen. Certainly, there is alot of commonality between building designers and architects.

I know, I haven't got into a long debate with Kilitact, lately.

Without design professionals I have nobody to fight with or complain about!!! LOL, :lol: JP

Rick - You are starting to disappoint me a bit. :roll: Where are the lengthy and belabored diatribes we all remember? Are you feeling OK?

I want to know that designs are we going to talk about here?

There are a lot of concerns talking alone about designs even.

He who must not be named has sensors attached to globally positioned minions clucking out coordinates of the unfaithful at dawn each day.

whoop, looks like my omlette's ready.

Rick Astoria, are you out there? Haven't seen a post in a while.

I may be able to kick-start this. I have to design a fix for an electric service with 4 1200A 208y/120 mains. I was supposed to do it by last Monday but was busy Sunday doing chores. When I get this done I will post a one-line here for your critique. Here is just one of the problems I need to address here. (NEC 110.26)

DSCN2024.jpg

DSCN2025.jpg

texasbo said:
Rick Astoria, are you out there? Haven't seen a post in a while.
Besides causing some hell for some Architects like Brudgers.... LOL.... Any how, been also busy with classes, going through bunch of paper work for handling transfer / admissions to the university in Eugene, Oregon starting in Fall 2011. So, its alot of work. Going to be a bit of fun.

I consider myself a design professional

Though I read these threads I have not felt the urge to join in on these discussions but decided to take a couple of minutes and do so.

I am a licensed building contractor who posts here with some frequency and read them pretty often as a a way to stay up on code questions that arise. I have also been designing houses for over 30 years. If I design them, build them and it is my occupation, I believe I am a design "professional". However, I simply refer to myself as a builder/designer. I study the codes in an effort to design compliant houses and whenever I want to do something structural that is not prescriptive, I design it and take it to an engineer for analysis and certifcation. I have never presented anything to an engineer that had to be rejected or changed but neither do I do any structural design that is difficult. It would never occurr to me to ask a BO to accept anything that was structural in nature without an engineers stamp.

I try to simply find out what the rules are and follow them.