• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

NYC Code - Occupancy Classification of restaurant kitchen

masterbuilder

Hello, hoping someone can shed some light with the following:

I am working on a new restaurant project in NYC, using the 1968 code. Having trouble identifying occupancy type for the kitchen portion of the restaurant.

Under table 3-2 Restaurants are listed as assembly type, F-4 occupancy. Non residential kitchen are listed as a D-2 occupancy, thus the two requiring a fire separation between he two per table 5-1.

Am I right to assume this? or are restaurant kitchens considered as part of the Restaurant occupancy F-4, and the D-2 designation i meant for more commercial kitchens that are not connected to a restaurant dining space.

Thanks for any info

So cannot use present code??

Not a NYC. code person,

But would say same occupancy as the rest of the business/ restaurant