• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

NYS requirements for basement insulation

Brian Kimbark

Hi everyone,

Can someone please point me in the right direction for the code requirements in my area regarding insulating a basement. What r values, what type of insulation, vapor barrier requirements, etc.

I’m located in Zone 5, Dutchess County, New York.

Thanks,

Brian

A few questions will help answer this question.

1) Is it a walk out basement?
2) What are the basement walls made out of?
3) What size are the floor joists?
3) Are you planning on leaving the basement finished or unfinished?
4) Does the basement have any mechanical equipment such as a boiler or furnace?
5) Does the basement have any duct work?
6) Is this an existing basement or are you going to build it from scratch?

The guys and girls from NYS can help you much easier if you can answer these questions.

Hi everyone,

Can someone please point me in the right direction for the code requirements in my area regarding insulating a basement. What r values, what type of insulation, vapor barrier requirements, etc.

Thanks,

Brian

Hi Brian,

I'm in the same area and zone as yourself. You want to go to 2015 IECC R402.2.9 and it will walk you through where you need to be.

Hi everyone,

Thanks,

Brian
For NYS, energy code 2020, basements require either R-15 continuous insulation on inside or outside, or R-19 insulation in the wall cavity. And I think for zone 5 you also need a vapor barrier or insulation that qualifies as a vapor barrier as well