• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

OBC Part 3 Matrix

Anastasiya Nesterenko

Hello everyone,
I am a student currently working on a project, which requires me to fill out the OBC matrices. I have a questions, particularly about part 3, Building Classification section. Hypothetically, this project is a change of use and a renovation, should i be classifying this building as to what is it currently or what I am proposing it to be? Really appreciate any help!

Welcome!

Another friend from the north! We have a few of your countrymen here.

Not sure what the OBC is, but in IBC land, you would classify it for the use that you are proposing. Does not matter what it was, it falls under what are you proposing to use it for.

You would be classifying the building on the intended building classification. There are some situations where you would want to classify the existing building, for instance if the new classification would add some great expense to the proposed renovation, but there is no increase in risk. For example, if you are changing from a "D" to an "E" use, but notice the "E" use now requires sprinklers, However, on further examination, you note that the "D" use should have had sprinklers as well. You might be able to persuade the building official to accept the change of use without the installation of sprinklers if you can demonstrate that there is no increase in risk.

Hello everyone,
I am a student currently working on a project, which requires me to fill out the OBC matrices. I have a questions, particularly about part 3, Building Classification section. Hypothetically, this project is a change of use and a renovation, should i be classifying this building as to what is it currently or what I am proposing it to be? Really appreciate any help!
I would bet on what the building is proposed to be. The proposed reno will point to the requirements of an article in 3.2.2.
You might find value in reaching to your friendly local building inspector/plan checker and ask the question over the counter.

You would be classifying the building on the intended building classification. There are some situations where you would want to classify the existing building, for instance if the new classification would add some great expense to the proposed renovation, but there is no increase in risk. For example, if you are changing from a "D" to an "E" use, but notice the "E" use now requires sprinklers, However, on further examination, you note that the "D" use should have had sprinklers as well. You might be able to persuade the building official to accept the change of use without the installation of sprinklers if you can demonstrate that there is no increase in risk.
Hate to dig up an old thread, but a caution: It's also worth running such things past the Fire Marshal's office as well.

Hate to dig up an old thread, but a caution: It's also worth running such things past the Fire Marshal's office as well.
This depends on the province. The Fire Marshal's office was given extraordinary powers in our province to make up for the extraordinarily incompentant building officials at the time.