• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Obstruction testing fire sprinkler

cda

Sawhorse 123
Anyone requireing obstruction testing???

if so how is it going??

14.2* Obstruction Investigation and Prevention.

14.2.1 An inspection of piping and branch line conditions shall be conducted every 5 years by opening a flushing connection at the end of one main and by removing a sprinkler toward the end of one branch line for the purpose of inspecting for the presence of foreign organic and inorganic material.

CDA,

I have required several businesses in my juristiction to have obstruction testing. This is mainly because the building has had the sprinkler system shutoff for more than one year or no documented inspection in at least five years. I would reference NFPA 25 Obstruction Investigations. I am concerned about MIC and we also have very hard water in our area. I have a mall that is over thirty years old and never had a sprinkler system inspecteion. My juristiction has a histiory of not inforcing the fire code. It's pathetic really. The contractor will arrange to me to be there to view the inside of the pipe. I am very hesitant to accept pictures of obstruction investigations. I have a real mess on my hands because no one has ever inspected these buildings properly. Why do you ask? NFPA 25 is a good guide for this issue. Best of luck.

Jeremy Searfoss

just some of those little hidden requirements in 25 and 13 that are not enforced, installed, etc.....

Only one in the last year. The re work on the system required a flow test dry system. 4.5 minutes to the Inspectors test blow off. Just a little over the 60 second mark. I found multiple obstructions. They now have a new sprinkler contractor.