• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Occupancy Classification and Capacity

mmckinzie

I have a two story existing historic building. The main floor was a restaurant and the 2nd floor was a hotel. We’re changing the upstairs to apartments and leaving the main floor as a restaurant. Do you base capacity on the building as a whole or each floor get their own capacity rating?

If you a referring to occupant load, then the occupant load would be about the same on both stories, assuming the original hotel did not have any commercial spaces that would not be considered residential.

If they do not share means of egress, I would calculate them separately, assembly (or business if under 50) for first floor and residential for second. If they do share m.o.e., then you have to combine them.

If they do not share means of egress, I would calculate them separately, assembly (or business if under 50) for first floor and residential for second. If they do share m.o.e., then you have to combine them.
There are two means of egress upstairs. One would be shared, the other is not shared.

1004.2.3 Adjacent stories.
Other than for the egress components designed for convergence in accordance with Section 1005.6, the occupant load from separate stories shall not be added.

1005.3.1 Stairways.
The capacity, in inches, of means of egress stairways shall be calculated by multiplying the occupant load served by such stairways by a means of egress capacity factor of 0.3 inch (7.6 mm) per occupant. Where stairways serve more than one story, only the occupant load of each story considered individually shall be used in calculating the required capacity of the stairways serving that story.

There are two means of egress upstairs. One would be shared, the other is not shared.
So assuming two from residential 2nd story and two from assembly 1st story, and one from each converge in a foyer or lobby, the m.o.e. from that point to public way has to have capacity for 1/2 of each occupancy combined.

Does that help or have I missed a point?