• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Occupancy Classification for Art Studio

tgkitts

Looking at opening an Art Studio for a maximum capacity of 18 plus 2-3 assistants. The space is 1336 sf but includes an Office, Storage and Toilet. The total SF of the assembly area is 717 square feet if I take out the path of egress which is 361 square feet. Need to calculate water closets and mainly confirm this will be a Group B occupancy. Can someone help me clarify this? I cannot find a classification for a Art Studio.

mtlogcabin is spot on, B, the section, which includes the line item mt posted.

304.1 Business Group B. Business Group B occupancy
includes, among others, the use of a building or structure, or
a portion thereof, for office, professional or service-type
transactions, including storage of records and accounts.
Business occupancies shall include, but not be limited to,
the following:

I'm working on a similar space as a group B occupancy. At your sf you should be well within 50 occupancy for providing a single unisex bathroom.

Will you occasionally be holding art shows or exhibitions there? A lot of art studios and galleries also rent thier space out for rceptions / gatherings. If any of those situations apply I am not sure its a B occupancy.

T is correct on this, if used for display gatherings the density increases, it becomes an assembly area