• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Occupancy Classification?

Mech

2009 IBC

640 sf mechanical building housing an industrial air compressor, dryer, blowers, dehumidifiers, PLC, etc. for an adjacent lime silo at a cement manufacturer. All the equipment is used to transport the lime through pipe.

Would this be a Utility group?

Thanks

Although lime isn't normally combustible, wouldn't it be an F-1 in this case- haha, kidding

The lime is intended to burn in this cement making process.

I would interpret it as being part of the F-2 process.

Accessory occupancies are in the same building as the main occupancy and do not occupy more than 10% of the floor area. If this is a separate building occupied 100% by this mechanical room I would classify it as what it is, not subsidiary or accessory to an occupancy in a different building.

Could still be an F-2, but I would ignore the rest of the site and concentrate on what is going on inside this building.

Tim