• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Occupancy Classification

jwilly3879

Sawhorse
I have a building constructed circa 1890 that was built as a hunting lodge by a corporation for use by executives and their guests. The building was unused since the 1990's, purchased by another corporation for use as a conference/training facility. There are 20 beds in 7 rooms on the second floor and 2 beds in an accessible bedroom and bath on the first floor. There is a commercial style kitchen with type I hood and fire suppression system.

Building is powered by a combination of solar and remote generator located at the end of a 500' driveway.

The RDP is stating that since the occupancy is basically unchanged any work done to the building should be classified as repairs and no updates are required.

As usual the whole story never comes out in the beginning. Found some advertising indicating that in the future the building would be available to rent by groups other than the owners.

I believe the occupancy should be R-1 and based on the changes to the building it would be alterations level 2. NYS 2015. Any ideas?

So is it in anyone’s city limits??

Or out in the middle of no where by itself

What would you have classified it

Based on its original use

But using the NY 2015 code

What does the work entail? It’s technically a historic building, so those alteration requirements would be more applicable than the requirements in the individual alteration chapters.

The building is basically in the middle of nowhere. Originally it had a caretaker cottage and when it was used the occupants were not charged for rooms, the caretaker's wife would prepare meals and box lunches for the hunters and fishermanas well as housekeeping. Given the remote location of the site much of the work was done with little or no code supervision. I have been called in to help the new code officer determine what needs to be done to make the building code compliant.

To answer CDA I would have classified it as a SFD with many guests using the building, similar to the great camps that are in the area.

The work that was done entailed new mechanical systems, electrical upgrades, plumbing upgrades and the relocation and enlargement of existing doorways. We mhave finally located a preliminary set of drawings for the work and will be going over them next week to see how close the work that was performed complies with the prints.

You gotta love forensic code work.

Sounds good

See Rgla

Does this area need any license or such to operate as a R-1????

Needs a permit from the Adirondack Park Agency, is subject to Site Plan Review by the Planning Board, Temporary Residence and Food Service permits from the DOH.

The DOH has to approve a septic system and potable water supply and the Fire Department needs to approve access.

There are many hoops to jump through.

What does the work entail? It’s technically a historic building, so those alteration requirements would be more applicable than the requirements in the individual alteration chapters.

Age alone does NOT qualify a building as 'historic'... NYS has a very specific definition for 'historic'.

What does the AHJ classify it as?

The project is located within the state historic district encompassing the former town of Adirondac, situated at the southern entrance to the High Peaks Wilderness.

I need to check if this makes this building historic. I do not know if it is on the register.

Masten_house.JPG

Reactions: JBI
Repairs are just that....Work is likely level 1 or 2.....Watch out for change of use that would use more energy too....

C101.4.4 Change in occupancy or use. Spaces undergoing
a change in occupancy that would result in an increase
in demand for either fossil fuel or electrical energy shall
comply with this code.
Where the use in a space changes
from one use in Table C405.5.2(1) or (2) to another use in
Table C405.5.2(1) or (2), the installed lighting wattage
shall comply with Section C405.5.

CHANGE OF OCCUPANCY. A change in the purpose or
level of activity
within a building that involves a change in
application of the requirements of this code.

I believe it's a code violation to have that guitar so close to the fire. The Jimi Hendrix clause or something like that.