• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Occupancy Classification

bill1952

SAWHORSE
A new one for me but reviewing a DD set for a new HS. Under a sheet titled "OCCUPANT LOADS/CODE WORKSHEETS" is an overall color coded plan (clearly not a blue print) labeled "OCCUPANCY CLASSIFICATION" that separates the auditorium from the stage, and codes one "ASSEMBLY-FIXED SEATING" and the other "STAGES AND PLATFORMS". I guess makes sense for occupant load but not what IBC calls "OCCUPANCY CLADSIFICATION" in chapter 3.

Gets a little more confusing - to me at least - in that the assembly excludes all of the stage area that projects into the auditorium, thus reducing the occupant load since the assembly area is based on a fixed seat count.

Does anyone find this at all unusual or possibly concerning? I've always consider the stage a part of the assembly occupancy but like many cases, occupant load is calculated separately.

How else would you calculate the occupant load in an auditorium with fixed seats?

The table in chapter 10 has a listing for stages and platforms, which are shown at a ratio of 1 person per 15 square feet. I think the way you describe those plans is entirely appropriate -- for calculating occupant load. Both the stage and the auditorium fall within the A-1 Assembly occupancy classification for purposes of determining allowable area, height, and egress travel distances.

The stage is part of the Group A-1 occupancy (assuming it's A-1), but the occupant load is based on use, which may be different than the occupancy classification. For fixed seating, the occupant load is based on the number of seats and the stage is based on net floor area of the stage, which should included all of the stage area.

Thanks Ron. What I thought. Plan should probably be labeled use or use groups, not occupancy classification.

A new one for me but reviewing a DD set for a new HS. Under a sheet titled "OCCUPANT LOADS/CODE WORKSHEETS" is an overall color coded plan (clearly not a blue print) labeled "OCCUPANCY CLASSIFICATION" that separates the auditorium from the stage, and codes one "ASSEMBLY-FIXED SEATING" and the other "STAGES AND PLATFORMS". I guess makes sense for occupant load but not what IBC calls "OCCUPANCY CLADSIFICATION" in chapter 3.

Gets a little more confusing - to me at least - in that the assembly excludes all of the stage area that projects into the auditorium, thus reducing the occupant load since the assembly area is based on a fixed seat count.

Does anyone find this at all unusual or possibly concerning? I've always consider the stage a part of the assembly occupancy but like many cases, occupant load is calculated separately.
The stage is part of the assembly occupancy, but stages are listed as a separate FUNCTION OF SPACE in table 1004.5 at 1 person per 15 net SF