• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Occupancy Group for Electrical Rooms and Mechanical Rooms?

CLTS

Is there a set of rules to determine what group they are in? I've heard S-2, F-2, or even in the H group.

I do not see them pulled out as a separate occupancy classification unless the area is very large, something like industrial scale or battery storage room.

Keep an eye on IBC Table 509.1 - Incidental Uses. Electrical installations and transformers are included as an incidental use and refers you to NFPA 70 Sections 110.26 through 110.34 and Sections 450.8 through 450.48 for protection and separation requirements.

Utah Building Code 2021
508.2.4 Separation of Occupancies
No separation is required between accessory occupancies and the main occupancy.
Exceptions:​
Group H-2, H-3, H-4 and H-5 occupancies shall be separated from all other occupancies in accordance with Section 508.4.​
Group I-1, R-1, R-2 and R-3 dwelling units and sleeping units shall be separated from other dwelling or sleeping units and from accessory occupancies contiguous to them in accordance with the requirements of Section 420.​

Generally they are an accessory use and use the accessory storage areas, mechanical equipment room occupant load factor of 300 gross (T-1004.5) for calculating the occupant load