• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Occupant Load

alacreative

When determining the total occupant load of a building, in this case use group B, do you account for corridors or bathrooms when determining the load of each individual space in order to get the total number of occupants?

Can you explain what you mean by that?

There are waiting areas and assembly areas within this building as well, so I do need to modify the square footage per occupant calculation for those spaces, correct? So I'm essentially dealing with each space individually when determining the total occupant load?

Can you explain what you mean by that?

There are waiting areas and assembly areas within this building as well, so I do need to modify the square footage per occupant calculation for those spaces, correct? So I'm essentially dealing with each space individually when determining the total occupant load?

alacreative said:
Can you explain what you mean by that? There are waiting areas and assembly areas within this building as well, so I do need to modify the square footage per occupant calculation for those spaces, correct? So I'm essentially dealing with each space individually when determining the total occupant load?
FLOOR AREA, GROSS. The floor area within the inside perimeter of the exterior walls of the building under consideration, exclusive of vent shafts and courts, without deduction for corridors, stairways, closets, the thickness of interior walls, columns or other features. The floor area of a building, or portion thereof, not provided with surrounding exterior walls shall be the usable area under the horizontal projection of the roof or floor above. The gross floor area shall not include shafts with no openings or interior courts.

FLOOR AREA, NET. The actual occupied area not including unoccupied accessory areas such as corridors, stairways, toilet rooms, mechanical rooms and closets.

FLOOR AREA, GROSS. The floor area within the inside perimeter of the exterior walls of the building under consideration, exclusive of vent shafts and courts, without deduction for corridors, stairways, closets, the thickness of interior walls, columns or other features. The floor area of a building, or portion thereof, not provided with surrounding exterior walls shall be the usable area under the horizontal projection of the roof or floor above. The gross floor area shall not include shafts with no openings or interior courts.

Gross floor area is that area measured within the perimeter formed by the inside surface of the exterior walls. The area of all occupiable and nonoccupiable spaces, including mechanical and elevator shafts, toilets, closets, mechanical equipment rooms, etc., is included in the gross floor area. This area could also include any covered porches, carports or other exterior space intended to be used as part of the building's occupiable space. This gross and net floor areas are primarily used for the determination of occupant load in accordance with Table 1004.1.1.

FLOOR AREA, NET. The actual occupied area not including unoccupied accessory areas such as corridors, stairways, toilet rooms, mechanical rooms and closets.

This area is intended to be only the room areas that are used for specific occupancy purposes and does not include circulation areas, such as corridors or stairways, and service and utility spaces, such as toilet rooms and mechanical and electrical equipment rooms. Floor area, net and gross, is utilized in Table 1004.1.1 to determine occupant load for a space.

Commentary::

http://publicecodes.cyberregs.com/icod/ibc/2009f2cc/index.htm

FLOOR AREA, GROSS. The floor area within the inside perimeter of the exterior walls of the building under consideration, exclusive of vent shafts and courts, without deduction for corridors, stairways, closets, the thickness of interior walls, columns or other features. The floor area of a building, or portion thereof, not provided with surrounding exterior walls shall be the usable area under the horizontal projection of the roof or floor above. The gross floor area shall not include shafts with no openings or interior courts. FLOOR AREA, NET. The actual occupied area not including unoccupied accessory areas such as corridors, stairways, toilet rooms, mechanical rooms and closets.
Does this mean I ignore my Assembly without fixed seats (standing space) areas? The occupant load per floor is determined by its primary function? Not each individual space?

alacreative said:
Does this mean I ignore my Assembly without fixed seats (standing space) areas? The occupant load per floor is determined by its primary function? Not each individual space?
Please restate the question

Give example

I think the answer is no

1004.6 Multiple occupancies.

Where a building contains two or more occupancies, the means of egress requirements shall apply to each portion of the building based on the occupancy of that space. Where two or more occupancies utilize portions of the same means of egress system, those egress components shall meet the more stringent requirements of all occupancies that are served.

No you do not ignore your assembly area

cda said:
Please restate the questionGive example

I think the answer is no
I'm dealing with a B use group building that has multiple tenant spaces. So, in turn, this building primarily consists of office space, common lounge areas, common waiting areas, storage areas, common kitchen areas, etc. So, when referring to table 1004.1.1, not all areas of the building are business areas (yes? no?). So I was assuming that there is a different square footage calculation for the office areas in comparison to some of the common areas (such as the storage areas being 1 person/300 sf and the kitchen areas being 1 person/200 sf as opposed to the 1 person/100 sf for all the office spaces). Or, are all areas classified as business areas?

So I was assuming that there is a different square footage calculation for the office areas in comparison to some of the common areas (such as the storage areas being 1 person/300 sf and the kitchen areas being 1 person/200 sf as opposed to the 1 person/100 sf for all the office spaces)
That is correct

If the different area's are larger than what an accessory use would be, then yes, I would consider each use separately, for OL and egress.

imho

you will find the occupant load normally will not push requirements till you get to border line, where one or two people added or subtracted, decides if you need something or not.

So sometimes I do one factor for whole smaller buildings, if there are not to much of a mixed use, that may drive the occupant load up.

& - & - &

From the `12 IBC, Section 302.1:

"Structures or portions of structures shall be classified with respect to occupancy in one

or more of the groups listed in this section..................A room or space that is intended to be

occupied at different times for different purposes shall comply with all of the requirements

that are applicable to each of the purposes for which the room or space will be occupied.

Structures with multiple occupancies or uses shall comply with Section 508............Where a

structure is proposed for a purpose that is not specifically provided for in this code,

such structure shall be classified in the group that the occupancy most nearly resembles,

according to the fire safety and relative hazard involved."

& - & - &

What about conference rooms? Are these considered an assembly? And common seating/lounge areas... these aren't necessarily assembly spaces. Can this be considered business?

303.1.2 Small assembly spaces. The following rooms and

spaces shall not be classified as Assembly occupancies:

1. A room or space used for assembly purposes with an

occupant load of less than 50 persons and accessory to

another occupancy shall be classified as a Group B

occupancy or as part of that occupancy.

2. A room or space used for assembly purposes that is less

than 750 square feet (70 m2

) in area and accessory to

IMO I always think about this, the people in the conference room are almost always the people from the building.

Another way to think about it is to calc it at the assembly number,(if that is the intended use) if the totalfor the room or space comes out with less than 50, you can just lump it all in with the business spaces...

hlfireinspector said:
303.1.2 Small assembly spaces. The following rooms andspaces shall not be classified as Assembly occupancies:

1. A room or space used for assembly purposes with an

occupant load of less than 50 persons and accessory to

2. A room or space used for assembly purposes that is less

than 750 square feet (70 m2

) in area and accessory to

IMO I always think about this, the people in the conference room are almost always the people from the building.

One thing I always found confusing is the connection between the building use group and individual space classification. From my understanding and based on the definition above, Chapter 3 Use and Occupancy Classification, defines not only the building classification, but also individual space classification that can help you understand which conversion to use for table 1004.1.1?

& ~ & ~ &

Each space \ room \ area must be evaluated for its intended use.

That's why you can have a multi-occupancy type building \ structure.

An accurate, designed occupant load is a very crucial part of the

overall design & use of a building.

& ~ & ~ &

My shot

Occupancy types the building and spaces in it.

Which is different from the occupant load factor table. That just is used to determine the occupant load of a room.

But indirectly can affect the occupancy type as in A and B, once you hit fifty you fall into a different occupancy.

So,

1. sq foot of building and rooms in it

2. Occupant load

3. Occupancy type

cda said:
My shotOccupancy types the building and spaces in it.

Which is different from the occupant load factor table. That just is used to determine the occupant load of a room.

But indirectly can affect the occupancy type as in A and B, once you hit fifty you fall into a different occupancy.

So,

1. sq foot of building and rooms in it

2. Occupant load

3. Occupancy type
Ahhh, I see.

I think essentially what was confusing me was the assumption of determining the Occupancy Use before the Occupancy Load rather than after.

I have another simple question related to this topic that I can't seem to locate within the code. Once you have your occupant load, how do you determine how many females vs. males? Split the load?