• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Occupant Load

alacreative said:
I have another simple question related to this topic that I can't seem to locate within the code. Once you have your occupant load, how do you determine how many females vs. males? Split the load?
Assume 50/50 unless have firm data to the contrary

2009 IPC

403.1.1 Fixture calculations. To determine the occupant load of each sex, the total occupant load shall be divided in half. To determine the required number of fixtures, the fixture ratio or ratios for each fixture type shall be applied to the occupant load of each sex in accordance with Table 403.1. Fractional numbers resulting from applying the fixture ratios of Table 403.1 shall be rounded up to the next whole number. For calculations involving multiple occupancies, such fractional numbers for each occupancy shall first be summed and then rounded up to the next whole number.

Exception: The total occupant load shall not be required to be divided in half where approved statistical data indicates a distribution of the sexes of other than 50 percent of each sex.

403.1.2 Family or assisted-use toilet and bath fixtures. Fixtures located within family or assisted-use toilet and bathing rooms required by Section 1109.2.1 of the International Building Code are permitted to be included in the number of required fixtures for either the male or female occupants in assembly and mercantile occupancies.

Frank said:
Assume 50/50 unless have firm data to the contrary2009 IPC

403.1.1 Fixture calculations. To determine the occupant load of each sex, the total occupant load shall be divided in half. To determine the required number of fixtures, the fixture ratio or ratios for each fixture type shall be applied to the occupant load of each sex in accordance with Table 403.1. Fractional numbers resulting from applying the fixture ratios of Table 403.1 shall be rounded up to the next whole number. For calculations involving multiple occupancies, such fractional numbers for each occupancy shall first be summed and then rounded up to the next whole number.

Exception: The total occupant load shall not be required to be divided in half where approved statistical data indicates a distribution of the sexes of other than 50 percent of each sex.

403.1.2 Family or assisted-use toilet and bath fixtures. Fixtures located within family or assisted-use toilet and bathing rooms required by Section 1109.2.1 of the International Building Code are permitted to be included in the number of required fixtures for either the male or female occupants in assembly and mercantile occupancies.
Anyone happen to know where this section is located in the 248 CMR - Massachusetts State Plumbing Code?

alacreative said:
Anyone happen to know where this section is located in the 248 CMR - Massachusetts State Plumbing Code?
While I do not have the section...The number is determined by the AHJ....Local BO...I know we had this discussion here about MA before...Try searching fixture count Massachusetts here on the forum..

alacreative said:
Ahhh, I see.I think essentially what was confusing me was the assumption of determining the Occupancy Use before the Occupancy Load rather than after.
Well sometimes the occupancy type is easy, just by looking at it.

Say a stadium or a school or a hospital

cda said:
....Which is different from the occupant load factor table. That just is used to determine the occupant load of a room.

So, I've heard of this before. A tenant build-out space for one company has a large conference room (over 750 sf), the occupant load is counted as 1/15sf for that room, but they still count the whole floor as a Building Occupancy, no mixed occupancy! Is this right, the 2009 IBC code TABLE 508.4 says you need to separate an Assembly Occupancy from a Business Occupancy by 1 hour if sprinklered. But, this doesn't make sense when it's the same occupants in both places (all one company).

el cholo said:
So, I've heard of this before. A tenant build-out space for one company has a large conference room (over 750 sf), the occupant load is counted as 1/15sf for that room, but they still count the whole floor as a Building Occupancy, no mixed occupancy! Is this right, the 2009 IBC code TABLE 508.4 says you need to separate an Assembly Occupancy from a Business Occupancy by 1 hour if sprinklered. But, this doesn't make sense when it's the same occupants in both places (all one company).
Sometimes it can be an "accessory use"

508.2 Accessory occupancies. Accessory occupancies are those occupancies that are ancillary to the main occupancy of the building or portion thereof. Accessory occupancies shall comply with the provisions of Sections 508.2.1 through 508.2.5.3.

Buildings often have rooms or spaces with an occupancy that is different from, but accessory to, the principal occupancy of the building. When such accessory areas are limited in size, they will not ordinarily represent a significantly different life safety hazard. This principle does not apply, however, to the incidental accessory occupancy areas indicated in Section 508.2.5 or where otherwise indicated in Sections 508.2.4 and 508.3.3 for areas classified as Group H.

The occupancy must be ancillary to the principal purpose for which the structure is occupied. This means that the purpose and function of the area is subordinate and secondary to the structure's primary function. As such, the activities that occur in accessory use areas are necessary for the principal occupancy to properly function and would not otherwise reasonably exist apart from the principal occupancy.

When you exclude "closets", do they have to be full-height? If I have 34" high built-in storage cabinets with a countertop (in a classroom, for example), can I exclude the SF of these cabinets?

Yikes said:
When you exclude "closets", do they have to be full-height? If I have 34" high built-in storage cabinets with a countertop (in a classroom, for example), can I exclude the SF of these cabinets?
If it is not "gross" you can exclude anywhere you can't fit a person.....IMHO