• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Old motel being converted into apartments = sprinklers?

Coder

Silver Member
Hi all, I have several motel owners wanting to convert their establishments into long term efficiency dwelling units. One of the many questions is "will I have to sprinkler the building"? I can't come up with a definitive answer and am looking to this forum for answers again. Thanks in advance for any insight, past knowledge or any other good ideas you all may have.

Technically a change of use, R-1 to R-2, so yes, sprinklers required.

But, it is still residential.

I would have a hard time requiring it, really it would be a lesser hazard, transient to non-transient occupants.

JMHO, it will be interesting to see replies.

If the IEBC is adopted, both the prescriptive compliance method (IEBC Section 506.1) and the work area compliance method (IEBC Section 1004) require compliance with the IBC when there is a change of occupancy. Thus, a sprinkler system would be required.

Define

“”long term efficiency dwelling units.“”

And will there still be daily rentals??

After reviewing the adopted 2015 IEBC, I concur with RLGA that a sprinkler system would be required. Can't wait to hear the positive responses from the property owners. lol

Define

“”long term efficiency dwelling units.“”

And will there still be daily rentals??
The concept is to have month to month/ 6 month/ and year long leases and do away with the daily lodging scenario. My definition of an efficiency dwelling unit comes from the 2015 IPMC Section 404.6 and our land development code stating a minimum sq. ft. of 300 for an efficiency dwelling unit.

In best interests from a risk management standpoint long term to sprinkler. Are they single or multiple floor buildings?

Maybe a code change. We require a maximum 30 day lease and they still pay the bed tax to the state to operate as an R-1. #2 fits most older hotel designs with direct access to the outside from each room. Does not work if there are interior hallways/corridors

(16) Delete Subsection 903.2.8 and replace with the following:

"1. An approved automatic sprinkler system installed in accordance with Section 903.3 shall be provided in all Group R buildings meeting any of the following criteria:

"a. 9 or more transient guests or 5 or more transient guestrooms;

"b. 9 or more occupants in other than dwelling units;

"c. 5 or more dwelling units; or

"d. more than 2 stories.

"2. In lieu of the above required automatic sprinkler system in buildings not more than three stories above the lowest level of exit discharge, each transient guestroom may be provided with at least one door leading directly to an exterior exit access that leads directly to approved exits.

"3. "Transient guest" for the purpose of this subsection shall mean an occupant who is primarily transient in nature, staying at one location for 30 days or less."

So we have decided if they keep their tenant leases at 30 days or less then they can keep calling it an R-1. No change of occupancy and an existing building condition = no sprinklers.

In best interests from a risk management standpoint long term to sprinkler. Are they single or multiple floor buildings?
Single floor or two floor motels with each room door opening to a courtyard or parking lot. Classic motel style buildings.

So we have decided if they keep their tenant leases at 30 days or less then they can keep calling it an R-1. No change of occupancy and an existing building condition = no sprinklers.

Boy, someone got the “Open Can of Worms” opener!!!

I don't understand the rational behind the 30 day lease. The space can be continuously occupied as long as the renter is not obligated to stay beyond thirty days. So every thirty days he decides I'm living large here, I'm not leaving. Why is that a factor weighing in on the need for a sprinkler system?

If the lease is longer than thirty days; sprinklers are required. Nothing but the duration of the lease is altered but the code requires sprinklers....why?

Last edited:
Reactions: SAT
Nothing but the duration of the lease is altered but the code requires sprinklers....why?
Because ICC thought it would be wise to allow fire officials to vote on building code changes and now every R occupancy is required to have a fire suppression system

I would not call it a change of occupancy, but if you do there is this:

2015 IEBC

SECTION 407
CHANGE OF OCCUPANCY
407.1 Conformance. No change shall be made in the use or
occupancy of any building unless such building is made to
comply with the requirements of the International Building
Code for the use or occupancy. Changes in use or occupancy
in a building or portion thereof shall be such that the existing
building is no less complying with the provisions of this code
than the existing building or structure was prior to the change.

Subject to the approval of the building official, the use or
occupancy of existing buildings shall be permitted to be
changed and the building is allowed to be occupied for purposes
in other groups without conforming to all of the
requirements of this code for those groups, provided the new
or proposed use is less hazardous, based on life and fire risk,
than the existing use.
Exception: The building need not be made to comply with
the seismic requirements for a new structure unless
required by Section 407.4

And this:

FIRE PROTECTION
1004.1 General. Fire protection requirements of Section
1012 shall apply where a building or portions thereof undergo
a change of occupancy classification or where there is a
change of occupancy within a space where there is a different
fire protection system threshold requirement in Chapter 9 of
the International Building Code.

In IBC Chapter 9 R1 and R2 do not have different fire protection system thresholds.

Subject to the approval of the building official, the use or
occupancy of existing buildings shall be permitted to be
changed and the building is allowed to be occupied for purposes
in other groups
without conforming to all of the
requirements of this code for those groups, provided the new
or proposed use is less hazardous, based on life and fire risk,
than the existing use.

I have no problem using this section to not require a fire suppression system in a building where the walls and floors separating sleeping rooms and/or dwelling units were built under a code that required one-hour walls and floors and each room has an exit that opens to the exterior.

An old motel 6 that is now operating as an R-2 with efficiency units for example.

Maybe I am just old school