• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Old wiring?

Paelectrician

First thanks for this forum and the help you guys have already provided me. This question deals with the old cloth covered wiring. This is my first time dealing with it, i'm wondering what is the best way to determine what is the grounded and ungrounded conductors?

Re: Old wiring?

Are you talking about knob and tube which is individual conductors run on insulators or braidX which is a single cable with both the grounded and ungrounded conductor installed in the cable?

Chris

Re: Old wiring?

Knob and tube wiring requires and meter to find the hot. Fortuntantly I had and uncle that was an old time master electrician and after adding a receptacle and it not working he showed me. ;)