• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

on/off switch for principal ventilation equipment

Mac Moonfire

SAWHORSE
I'm using BCBC2018, 9.32.3.5.(3) Principal Ventilation System Exhaust Fan, requires an dedicated and labeled on/off switch.
I've just requested a switch for an HRV with a plug in cord and got the "we never did that before". ;)
The electrician suggest pulling on the cord if quick shut off is needed.
1693521813007.png
The functials statements for the switch are the followings:
F81 To minimize the risk of malfunction, interference, damage, tampering, lack of use or misuse
OH1.1 – inadequate indoor air quality
OH1.2 – inadequate thermal comfort
OH1.3 – contact with moisture
OP2.3 – damage to or deterioration of building elements

I originly thought the switch was for safety in case of malfunction (sparks flying out, electrical cord red hot and melting etc). therefore pulling on the cord wouldn't be an acceptable means of shutting it down in an emergency. Now, I have doubts. It seems the functional statements are not related to safety but to the integrity of conditioned space.

In addition, the electrician is recalling a building official asking for on/off switches on the plug-in of on-demand water vessels. Apperently BC safety authority, having jurisdiction over electrical trades, has rules [unofficially?] that it was not required.

Curious to have other BO's thoughts and XP on this.
Thank you

electrical cord red hot and melting
I don't recall the circumstances but I do remember that a cord melted. It was a light gauge brown two wire cord. Probably a lamp cord. I let go of the cord and touched the attachment plug. It too was soft.

I'll bet that many of the forum members have had a similar experience.

Is the word "switch" defined in your code?

I would accept a properly sized cord as a disconnect for just about anything.
"switch" is not defined. However, (Division A 1.4.1.1.) "Words and phrases used in this Code that are not included in the list of definitions in Article 1.4.1.2. shall have the meanings that are commonly assigned to them in the context in which they are used, taking into account the specialized use of terms by the various trades and professions to which the terminology applies."

Below is an extract from Collins' dictionary. It seems we could agree yanking an electrical plug cord as a means of disconnect isn't in line with the definition of "switch".
I'm still on the fence about accepting a plug cord to replace an on/off switch. Such a switch cost 1.70$can.
From: https://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/switch
Definition of 'switch'
COUNTABLE NOUN
A switch is a small control for an electrical device which you use to turn the device on or off.
Leona put some detergent into the dishwasher, shut the door and pressed the switch.
...a light switch.
Synonyms: control, button, lever, on/off device

IIRC this is a hangover from the old days when the fan would be stuffed in the attic somewhere. Sometimes, that could present a danger. My other half, before I met her, had a fire in her attic from a fried kitchen fan.

Most fans now are either grease-trapping recirculators or have hoods that vent outside with a defined switch readily accessible.