• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

One exit, open stair questions

With an occupant load of 55 on Level 2 and a B occupancy, you will be required to have two means of egress from the floor (you don't meet any of the criteria of IBC Table 1006.3.2.2. I created a cheatsheet for this situation awhile back, you can check it out here: https://www.buildingcode.blog/blog/single-exit-cheat-sheet-2015-ibc#/

I am trying to get the answer if only one exit was required,

Can the stair be open and dump into the 1st floor????

Thanks good to see a FPE on board!!!!

I am trying to get the answer if only one exit was required,

Can the stair be open and dump into the 1st floor????

Thanks good to see a FPE on board!!!!
If only one exit (or access to exit) is required, which means you are under 50 occupants for Group B and the common path of travel is less than 75 feet (Table 1006.3.2(2), then an exit access (open) stair would be allowed. Note that other building requirements could potentially prevent an open stair here, though. Here is some more info on that: https://www.buildingcode.blog/blog/overview-of-requirements-for-open-stairs#/

Reactions: cda
If only one exit (or access to exit) is required, which means you are under 50 occupants for Group B and the common path of travel is less than 75 feet (Table 1006.3.2(2), then an exit access (open) stair would be allowed. Note that other building requirements could potentially prevent an open stair here, though. Here is some more info on that: https://www.buildingcode.blog/blog/overview-of-requirements-for-open-stairs#/
I just don't see how you could possibly get the 75 CPET with an open stair.

Reactions: cda
I am hoping we are just talking theory which is the premise I have been operating under....

Well this happens when they design first,,,

Then read the code book, and ask for forgiveness.

Just trying to get on solid ground, in order to say NO,,, Four times.

Thanks all

No

code section please
Section 1006.3 and Table 1006.3.3 (2). Max occ. load per story for one exit or exit access is 49 on first story above grade plane. Max occ. load for second story above grade plane is 29 or 75 feet of common path of travel for either story.

this section is for enclosed interior exit stairways, and open stair would be an exit access stairway, different section in the code.
IF you have an exit stair that meets the criteria for being an open stair that discharges into a lobby, and IF it also meets the criteria for being a single exit stair, are you still required to have an additional enclosed exit stair by virtue of the requirements of 1028.1?

IF you have an exit stair that meets the criteria for being an open stair that discharges into a lobby, and IF it also meets the criteria for being a single exit stair, are you still required to have an additional enclosed exit stair by virtue of the requirements of 1028.1?
In other words to my last post: section 1028.1 says no more than 50% of your exit stair can exit thru a lobby for instance. If you have only 1 exit stair, then you are using 100% of exit thru the lobby. I am missing something, Can anyone steer me correctly please?

If you can get outside from the most remote point on the second floor within maximum exit travel distance then the stair does not need to be enclosed.

If you can get outside from the most remote point on the second floor within maximum exit travel distance then the stair does not need to be enclosed.
I've never heard it put that way in this context! Is there a specific code section you're thinking of?

In other words to my last post: section 1028.1 says no more than 50% of your exit stair can exit thru a lobby for instance. If you have only 1 exit stair, then you are using 100% of exit thru the lobby. I am missing something, Can anyone steer me correctly please?
1028.1 applies to exits. An open stair is considered an exit access. You don't have 100% of your exit egressing through a lobby because it is not an exit. It is an exit access stairway.

1028.1 applies to exits. An open stair is considered an exit access. You don't have 100% of your exit egressing through a lobby because it is not an exit. It is an exit access stairway.
But the exceptions refer to interior exit stairway

Blazer - After re-reading these posts, I think I now see your point. Would it be true, that if you can get from the farthest point on the 2nd floor, down the stairs and out the front door within 75', the exit access stair then would not need to be enclosed?

If you exceed 75', and add an exterior exit stair as dashed in on the left, would the exit access stair plus the exit on the ground floor count as an 'exit' for the 2nd floor thereby satisfying the requirement for 2 exits from the 2nd level?

Exiting Question.jpg

Wow! Do you seriously need a shorthand notation for square feet (ft^2)? I bet you abbreviate the word "it" too.

If you can't egress in under 75 ft. (distance to reach an exit) then you are required to provide two exit/exit access from the second story.

Wow! Do you seriously need a shorthand notation for square feet (ft^2)? I bet you abbreviate the word "it" too.

If you can't egress in under 75 ft. (distance to reach an exit) then you are required to provide two exit/exit access from the second story.
Yes, I understand that. My question is: does the open stair count as 1 of the 2? Thanks.