• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

OOPS!

ICE

Oh Well
IMG_1373.jpg

I believe Ice's pointing out the layout error, which would be easy enough to fix. OR the carpenter could just lay a full sheet at the end and cover the mistake up.

Nobody cares about the rockers anyway, Right?

Bill

Last edited by a moderator:
KZQuixote said:
I believe Ice's pointing out the layout error, which would be easy enough to fix. OR the carpenter could just lay a full sheet at the end and cover the mistake up.Bill
Nice.. I didn't even see that.. the joists are definitely skewed!

KZQuixote said:
I believe Ice's pointing out the layout error, which would be easy enough to fix. OR the carpenter could just lay a full sheet at the end and cover the mistake up. Nobody cares about the rockers anyway, Right?

Bill
It's probably to attach GWB at that corner.

For the upper level storage area that's probably labeled "Not for storage" on the drawings.

alora said:
Yes, you can.
Page 3 of the install directions:

DO NOT use sawn lumber for

rim board or blocking as it

may shrink after installation.

Use only engineered lumber.

No, you can't.

TimNY said:
Page 3 of the install directions:DO NOT use sawn lumber for

rim board or blocking as it

may shrink after installation.

Use only engineered lumber.

No, you can't.
My mistake.

Thought we were on a building codes forum.

KZQuixote said:
My money will go on the manufacturer's instructions being referenced in the code and thus become part of it.Bill
And mine goes to the structural engineer reviewing and taking no exceptions to the shop drawing submittals.

Yes, if the moon is in the 4th quarter, the planets are aligned and it's Tuesday, the blocking can be approved.

Engineering your way out of installation instructions is the answer for those who do not read the instructions; that goes for designers and contractors.

Do you know why the stamp says "No exceptions taken", because they are not going to say "approved".

That way when something goes wrong and the manufacturer comes out, the engineer can say, "the contractor should have read the instructions."

Why would you choose to violate the instalalation instructions and use solid blocking when they could use the scrap cutoffs or an engineered rim to serve the same purpose?

I'm wrong too (see the thread on Timberlocks), but I admit it when I am.. man up instead of trying to engineer your way out.

TimNY said:
Yes, if the moon is in the 4th quarter, the planets are aligned and it's Tuesday, the blocking can be approved.
So, you have authority to deny something in the field if it's an engineered detail and a permit was issued?

That way when something goes wrong and the manufacturer comes out, the engineer can say, "the contractor should have read the instructions."
When something goes wrong that warrants the manufacturer to come out, it will more than likely be the engineer stating: "The owner/tenant exceeded the allowable load capacity of the mezzanine."

Why would you choose to violate the instalalation instructions and use solid blocking when they could use the scrap cutoffs or an engineered rim to serve the same purpose?
Again, because it can be done.

Never was it said that it was right or wrong.

Probably would do some good to hang around industrial projects a bit.

alora said:
So, you have authority to deny something in the field if it's an engineered detail and a permit was issued?When something goes wrong that warrants the manufacturer to come out, it will more than likely be the engineer stating: "The owner/tenant exceeded the allowable load capacity of the mezzanine."

Again, because it can be done.

Never was it said that it was right or wrong.

Probably would do some good to hang around industrial projects a bit.
I have the authority to ask the engineer to substantiate his drawings. Which, just as you assume it will be approved, I assume when brought to his attention will changed by the engineer to reflect the installation instructions.

More than likely, when there is a problem, the engineer will state the contractor failed to follow the instructions. That's what poor designers do-- they hang the responsibility on the contractor.

I don't know of many industrial projects of combustible construction.

Might do you some good to read the code, given that you feel manufacturer's instructions are not pertinent to construction. We can tap dance around this as much as you want. The fact is that inspectors and contractors are grounded in the reality of poor design. Your position of "anything is possible" is great theory but lacks basis in practicability.

The reality is that somebody has to pay the engineer to justify a poor design concocted by a designer who fails to read the instructions for materials he designs with. If you think, "it can be approved" substantiates your initial response, go with it. That makes one person.

alora said:
And mine goes to the structural engineer reviewing and taking no exceptions to the shop drawing submittals.
Are you saying that the shop drawings called for solid wood blocking and the plans reviewer missed it? I've seen many such shop drawings, for the manufacturer to spec a product that was not compatible especially when they can sell the correct blocking, is very unlikely.

The contractor just made a mistake.

Bill

KZQuixote said:
I believe Ice's pointing out the layout error, which would be easy enough to fix. OR the carpenter could just lay a full sheet at the end and cover the mistake up. Nobody cares about the rockers anyway, Right?

Bill
I need more explanation for the layout error, what is it?

Yankee said:
Yankee, check the joists closest to you versus the ones further away. Think "joist on wrong side of the line", although it looks like more.

It is most visible on the center joist, looks to be going off to the right a few inches.

Yankee said:
I'm not perzactly sure, but if you look at the layout of the joists in the span further away you'll see that they are not evenly spaced (look at the hangers). It's not as simple as the wrong blocks are nailed in the wrong bays (check out the parallel layouts on the ends of this span).

In any case if the further span is correct the near span could be fixed in about 20 minutes.

Bill