• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Open Office Area

north star

Sawhorse
> = > = >

I have a set of plans to remodel some areas in an existing
building for a new, Open Office area.........The Proposal is
for the bldg. owner to install non-permanent, cubicles &
office furniture after the project is completed........The
"inside wall-to-inside wall" measurements provide approx.
1,359 sq. ft.........The RDP is saying that this is a B Occupancy
based on existing observations, and not calculations.

I am interpreting this new, Open Office area to be an A-3
Occupany Group because it exceeds the 750 sq. ft. listed in
Ch. 3, of the 2015 IBC.

Q1) Will the installation of cubicles & office furniture lower

the actual Occupant Load calculations, or is this something
that the AHJ can approve based upon planned number of
cubicles ?

Thanks for any input !

< = < = <

It is a B, plus

2018 has "concentrated use" now,,,,, stuff more people in

Thought the room "empty" exceeds 1,000 sq. ft it is actually being used as offices (cubicles) which would be calculated as ( ___) sg/ft. per. there fore less than 50 occupants.

It could be 1,000 occupants in the open office and it will still be a Group B. You have to look at the description of an assembly occupancy in Chapter 3: “...for the gathering of persons for purposes such as civic, social or religious functions; recreation, food or drink consumption or awaiting transportation.” If it isn’t any one of those things, it is not an assembly occupancy—regardless of occupant load.

$ ~ $ ~ $

Thank you all for your input !

FWIW, ...this particular "Open Office" will be adjacent to some
other office areas, similar to a small Conference Room, and
separated by a wall and two doors........The plans even show
a small conference table & chairs in it.

$ ~ $ ~ $

Occupant loads (chapter 10) have nothing to do with occupancy (chapter 3). Even if this was an A occupancy (chapter 3), the open office area in question would be classified as a Business Function of space per table 1004.1.1 and calculated at 1 person per 100SF.

The square footage only relates to exits required if you exceed it, unless it is an "A" use in which case the sq. ft per use differs.

Q1) Will the installation of cubicles & office furniture lower
the actual Occupant Load calculations, or is this something
that the AHJ can approve based upon planned number of
cubicles ?
NS,
The cubies could effect the Emergency Egress Routes forcing employees to go further to reach the exits. So I think an AHJ could adjust the occupant load if this was the case.

It’s very good that you can work this way. For me, open office spaces are a little bit annoying, because there are lots of things that can disturb me. For example, a single bird can ruin my whole working day. Nevertheless, I understand people who are just excited about an office like that, and actually, you can find one here osdoro.com.sg. This agency can find you an office that will completely fulfill your requirements. The best part about it is that it’s not even so expensive as you might think!

Especially if that bird flies in and pecks my eyes out....I hate when that happens.....That is why I wear safety glasses....Available at........;)