• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

other than those necessary

Francis Vineyard

In my reading of the 2012, it specifically states these openings from unoccupied spaces are prohibited in exit passageways, interior and exterior exits but not for exit access enclosures.

Therefor can openings from an unoccupied area such as storage closets, toilet rooms, electrical/mechanical equipment rooms and janitorial closets be in an exit access enclosure?

My mind is having trouble breaking this down today

1009.3.1.4.1 Prohibited openings.Openings other

than those necessary for the purpose of the exit

access stairway enclosure shall not be permitted in

exit access stairway enclosures.

1020.1 General. Exits shall comply with Sections 1020

through 1026 and the applicable requirements of Sections

1003 through 1013. An exit shall not be used for any purpose that interferes with its function as a means of egress. Once a

given level of exit protection is achieved, such level of protection

shall not be reduced until arrival at the exit discharge.

1022.1 General. Interior exit stairways and interior exit

ramps serving as an exit component in a means of egress system

shall comply with the requirements of this section. Interior

exit stairways and ramps shall lead directly to the

exterior of the building or shall be extended to the exterior of

the building with an exit passageway conforming to the

requirements of Section 1023, except as permitted in Section

1027.1. An interior exit stairway or ramp shall not be used for any purpose other than as a means of egress.

1022.4 Openings. Interior exit stairway and ramp opening

protectives shall be in accordance with the requirements of

Section 716.

Openings in interior exit stairways and ramps other than

unprotected exterior openings shall be limited to those necessary for exit access to the enclosure from normally occupied

spaces and for egress from the enclosure.

Elevators shall not open into interior exit stairways and

ramps.

1023.1 Exit passageway. Exit passageways serving as an exit

component in a means of egress system shall comply with the

requirements of this section. An exit passageway shall not be used for any purpose other than as a means of egress.

1023.5 Openings and penetrations. Exit passageway opening

protectives shall be in accordance with the requirements

of Section 716.

Except as permitted in Section 402.8.7, openings in exit

passageways other than exterior openings shall be limited to those necessary for exit access to the exit passageway from

normally occupied spaces and for egress from the exit passageway.

1026.6 Exterior stairway and ramp protection. Exterior

exit stairways and ramps shall be separated from the interior

of the building as required in Section 1022.2. Openings shall

be limited to those necessary for egress from normally occupied

spaces.

Remember the three components of exiting

1)Exit access

2)Exit

3)Exit discharge

By definition exit access is any occupied space within a building or structure. There has to be allowances for openings from unoccupied spaces into the occupied spaces or you could never access them. Your confusion may be that you are using the term exit access passageway which is not defined in the code book. Sooooo, which part of the means of egress does that feature fit into in your mind? If part of the Exit access then there can certainly be openings from unoccupied spaces into it. If part of the exit you are using incorrect terminology for the feature and most likely the openings would not be allowed. Just trying to help... ZIG

It was so much easier way back when before "wordsmiths" changed common words/terms: door(protective), corridor (exit passageway), exit(inclusive of all elements), stairwell (enclosure), etc.

"exits" (and components) are not to be blocked/obstructed at any time (no storage, no doors from rooms/chases swinging into and obstructing minimum required clearances)

That and as we all get younger by the year we have the type of days he was having. At least I know I do.... I'm just optimistic that, when needed, I will be able to have someone help me sort out my logic by posting here.

ZIG

Well I tell you, with the new codes and the NFPA the subject is enthralling. Nary the twain shall meet. You are fine with IBC, then get skewered with NFPA. Particularly with open lobbies and stairs. Oh well, that is what makes it interesting and never ending fun.

I know of a project that was adaptively reusing a former multifamily housing structure as an "E" occupancy. The code said that E occupancy corridors must be min. 6' wide, but the existing corridor was 5'-9". So rather than tear down the building, they re-worked the exit system to make the former corridor an "exit passageway" instead, for which there was no 6' minimum requirement.

The problem came when they had janitor closets and storage rooms (normally unoccupied) into the former corridor. They reworked those into hall monitor stations (essentially, a small normally occupied office), and the janitor/storage opened first into those spaces, rather than directly into the new exit passageway.

P.S. The one downside is they've had to rigorously enforce the requirements for exit passageway: no bulletin boards or banners on the walls, all lights are surface mounts to keep electrical boxes to a minimum, etc.