• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Our electrician is embarrassing.

MASSDRIVER

e7e2yru9.jpg

Brent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

True enough...I was going with the "It's been there forever therefore we must have approved it at some point theory"....

jar546 said:
Let us not forget that the hose bibb creates another violation due to its location below the panelboard

There has been one inspection for final. Those items were not on the correction page. I had to ask about it because inquiring minds want to know, and was told Sparky took a heatgun to it.

I have the reinspect tomorrow which I'm standing, and spent half of today securing MC (not watertight) to the house, putting correct boxes on exterior outlets, etc. I had some unistrut on me and was going to tackle this abortion but got called off it.

It's a weird situation when it's not your own job to control. The guys I work for aren't bad, and have good reps and been around for years (cslb# in the 300000's) but they have a "let them find it" attitude.

In general they listen to me and let me preface all inspections to get them passed, but got over ridden this time for various reasons. They want this job out of their hair so bad it's not funny.

I'm actually sort of stunned at all the things the inspector missed as this guy is usually by the book. Maybe this is just round one. (?)

Oh well. Tomorrow ought to be a hoot.

Brent

MASSDRIVER said:
There has been one inspection for final. Those items were not on the correction page. I had to ask about it because inquiring minds want to know, and was told Sparky took a heatgun to it.I have the reinspect tomorrow which I'm standing, and spent half of today securing MC (not watertight) to the house, putting correct boxes on exterior outlets, etc. I had some unistrut on me and was going to tackle this abortion but got called off it.

It's a weird situation when it's not your own job to control. The guys I work for aren't bad, and have good reps and been around for years (cslb# in the 300000's) but they have a "let them find it" attitude.

In general they listen to me and let me preface all inspections to get them passed, but got over ridden this time for various reasons. They want this job out of their hair so bad it's not funny.

I'm actually sort of stunned at all the things the inspector missed as this guy is usually by the book. Maybe this is just round one. (?)

Oh well. Tomorrow ought to be a hoot.

Brent
Fill us in. I would be surprised and disappointed if this passed inspection.

Dennis said:
I have seen a lot worse. I would tell him to strap the conduit and walk away-- yes it is ugly
That is why we continue to see work like that. The inspector's willingness to look past obvious violations. Why is that? Why do inspectors feel entitled to grant passes for the violations that exist? What authority do we have to do that?

Our company would tell them to move the panel or the hose bibb and correct the rest of the crap. Do it right or don't do it and let someone who knows what they are doing do it.

jar546 said:
That is why we continue to see work like that. The inspector's willingness to look past obvious violations. Why is that? Why do inspectors feel entitled to grant passes for the violations that exist? What authority do we have to do that?Our company would tell them to move the panel or the hose bibb and correct the rest of the crap. Do it right or don't do it and let someone who knows what they are doing do it.
Just because it looks fugly is not reason enough to fail it. The conduit isn't so deformed that it didn't work out for the application. As far as the hose bibb is concerned....yes it is a violation....yes they should know better....now what's the big deal....it's a stinking hose bibb under a residential panel....it's no simple thing to move it and the expense far outweighs the benefit.

Now you probably could fail it because the conduit isn't schedule 80.

ICE said:
Just because it looks fugly is not reason enough to fail it. The conduit isn't so deformed that it didn't work out for the application. As far as the hose bibb is concerned....yes it is a violation....yes they should know better....now what's the big deal....it's a stinking hose bibb under a residential panel....it's no simple thing to move it and the expense far outweighs the benefit.Now you probably could fail it because the conduit isn't schedule 80.
There are clear code violations that need to be addressed. It has nothing to do with how fugly it looks.

My point is that we must be consistent and apply the code evenly to everyone and we have NO LEGAL jurisdiction to simply not enforce obvious codes.

What is so hard and difficult about doing one's job and writing up deficiencies? It's their problem unless you don't enforce it. It then becomes your problem.

I think the problem alot of us have Jeff is that CT (and assumedly other areas) has only had a State Code since about 1971....if it looks like it was installed before then, how can I call it a violation? Or if it is a like for like swap (replacement) unless I feel it is actually a dangerous condition, I am not going to make them change something major....New service or AMP upgrade I would be looking for full compliance....

MASSDRIVER said:
Amazing. Crap work officially accepted as is, Job finaled.

Another victory for the hacks.

Brent
Another fine example how poor code enforcement enables the hacks to compete with quality contractors who do good, code compliant work. The inspector should be ashamed of him/herself

This is interesting to me.

First inspectigator generates his correction list. This other one went only by the list, and on the honor system at that. Label panel, smokies, co detectors, gfi label, etc. tailgate inspection.

Now I have had dudes use the honor system before, but we had developed a relationship and former work was taken into account.

If it were my job the conduit would not even have made it this far. Either sparky redoes it to my liking, or I do and hold the cost, or maybe use it as an ace on another job.

Fortunatly this one won't be returning.

Part of the problem is all the subs that were used are old time friends and whatnot and they take advantage of the marriage, as it were.

What they are doing now is turning supervision over to me as I don't care about the friendships. I'm way more disconnected. Once they started that, they also backed my plays and the work has improved 100%

I made the new electrician buy a labeler to mark breakers, and that small think has actually cleaned the rest of his work up as well.

Homeowners appreciate it too.

I guess you just hold the line as best you can without sabotaging your employer.

Brent.

MASSDRIVER said:
This is interesting to me. First inspectigator generates his correction list. This other one went only by the list
Hmmm, interesting. I was taught that if I was going in for a re-inspection that I was ONLY to look at that correction (unless there was a life/safety issue which was glaring). If some other voilation(s) were seen, but they had been signed off on; that it was protocol to get together with the inspector who signed off on it and talk about what I'd observed. Very interesting discussion - how do all of you handle it? Me? I'm the facilities administrator at an airport now, I get to play different games than this particular one.

My jurisdiction gets way twisted when I write corrections on top of another inspector's corrections. I doesn't matter what the corrections are. I do it anyway. Especially when I return from vacation or fill in for another inspector. My feeling is that if it is okay to ignore a particular violation, why bother ever writing the correction.

I should add that I don't go for picayune corrections and it's not a competition to see if I can one up another inspector.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm the only inspector in town so if I missed it the first time its on me but most of the contractors in town are good to work with I just tell them "hay I missed x last time we need to get it fixed" it has not blown up in my face yet