• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Our electrician is embarrassing.

jar546 said:
That is why we continue to see work like that. The inspector's willingness to look past obvious violations. Why is that? Why do inspectors feel entitled to grant passes for the violations that exist? What authority do we have to do that?Our company would tell them to move the panel or the hose bibb and correct the rest of the crap. Do it right or don't do it and let someone who knows what they are doing do it.
Well then come out here and deal with the crap I see. After a few weeks of that I think you might develop and eye for what's worth doing over.

This was done by a general contractor. The lath was installed at the first inspection. There is an el permit for a service upgrade and a plumbing permit for a kitchen sink. That's because in Ca. a general contractor can't take out a single specialty permit....no, he has to have a minimum of two and they must be unrelated trades. When I asked him about the sink, he said that the lady changed her mind and there won't be a new sink. I said, bummer now your permit is void. Well the lady changed her mind again...or I should say she found out that she was getting a new kitchen sink.

One of the corrections was to provide a second ground rod a minimum 6' from the first rod. This time around it says provide a third rod a minimum 6 feet from any rod.

So back to the lath...I made them remove it and this is what I found. Now seriously Jeff, can you see that a misplaced hose bibb isn't such a big deal?

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh my...........again, I am so happy I live in CO............we see some crap.......but typically not to that level.........

I can count on writing a butt load of corrections every day. Not all of California is as bad as my area. As a matter of fact, 99% of the state is way better than my area. I just happen to be in a low income, completly Mexican, community. Half of the time, I am the only person there that speaks English. The other half of the time, I am the only person there that speaks English. Why they send me is anybody's guess.

Inspecting in some bucolic (that's not an eating disorder fatboy) Colorado town would bore me. I would probably lose the ability to do what I do.

Last edited by a moderator:
= + = + =

ICE,

Are you the only sagacious \ observant \ picture taking Inspector working for your company ? :-o

= * = * =

ICE said:
One of the corrections was to provide a second ground rod a minimum 6' from the first rod. This time around it says provide a third rod a minimum 6 feet from any rod.
Why a second ground rod 6 ft away? And then I suppose the third one is because the second was not placed correctly? Surely a simple hacienda can't need three ground rods. When I build a new out-of-the-ground bank, the electrical plans call for three ground rods 10 ft into the ground spaced 20 ft apart, all tied together and the resistance has to be tested and certified. Sometimes they place them in a triangle, more often they are in a straight line along the back of the building. And then there is a (I think) #4 solid going to the main inside panel. Why do you require the grounding condustor to be in flex? One reason could be that in the event of a short to ground, the ground wire carries all the current so you're trying to prevent someone from coming in contact with a temporarily energized wire. Ok, but it looks like the flex sheathe is bonded to the ground rod, so doesn't it also carry the current?

e hilton said:
So is it just easier to install 2 rods than test the first one?
The test can cost upwards of $1000.00. I have never had anyone do that instead of another rod.