• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Outdoor heaters

outdoor heaters

Mech said:
So from a previous threadhttp://www.inspectpa.com/forum/showthread.php?3604-quot-Outdoor-quot-Heaters,

I can construct a canopy outside a building, install radiant heaters, and need not comply with the Energy Code. Do I have this correct? And that's because there is an exception in the code or because the situation is not addressed?

Thanks
It's new in the 2009 - Section 503.2.11. These systems must be radiant, have have occupant sensors or timers. What if gas lines are run but no heaters installed? That's why a building official's job is always interesting!

Thanks everyone, especially Forrest. That's what I needed.

The application is a service reception canopy at a car dealership where customers can drop off and pick up their cars out of the rain / snow. The owners are debating whether to enclose the canopy or not. I think if radiant heaters would not be allowed, then they'd opt for a building instead of a canopy.

The IECC defines building as "Any structure used or intended for supporting or sheltering any use or occupancy." I don't know that a reception area would not fall under that definition regardless of walls or not. A canopy is certainly a structure.