• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Outdoor Kitchens with gas grills

ADAguy

Are these allowed under backyard shade structures if less than 120 sq. ft?
Are flame retardent materials required?

Yes
No

Building codes mitigate but do not remove all hazards. For most, they are unaware the risk; for some, they don't care.

"shade structures" is too generic. I suppose some are not safe and some are fine. Carnivals and festivals have food stands with State Fire Marshall approved canopies. I have found a few palm frond messes in back yards.

At the carnivals I ask that the fryers be not under a canopy no matter what the Fire Marshall has approved. That and the area is saturated with fire extinguishers....big ones

Last edited:
Spot on Ice! To often outdoor kitchen Mfg'rs claim they aren't required to have contractors licenses to fabricate and install these ( with BBQ, broilers, etc.) but the appliance Mfg's say they shouldn't be installed beneath combustable material. That being the case, if they still do so then who is liable if a fire starts?

Spot on Ice! To often outdoor kitchen Mfg'rs claim they aren't required to have contractors licenses to fabricate and install these ( with BBQ, broilers, etc.) but the appliance Mfg's say they shouldn't be installed beneath combustable material. That being the case, if they still do so then who is liable if a fire starts?

The insurance company, most cover the stupid clause/cause

Not the jurisdiction. No permit required = no liability for the AHJ.

The homeowner and their insurance co. can/will duke it out.

About 4-5 months ago we decided to move to a new house and one of our biggest plans was to build an outdoor kitchen with grill and bbq station. We were so excited that aready created a plan and design for our kitchen, found various ideas. We used bbqguys as a guide because they have all info we needed. My wife even already ordered pans and wok for her new kitchen (in case you're wondering, we got Viktoria wok. We bought the same for my sister and she loves it, we even used to borrow it for camping). Unfortunately during moving we lost our plan and all drawings we had, so now we need to start all over again. On the pic you can see what we've found so far and want something similar. Since there is not so much space we want it to be small and multufunctional. One more problem is that we're not proffessionals and don't know is it actually possible to make something like this? By the way, we already have a gas grill there. So mybe it will be easier to build some construction around this grill to make more counter space and leave it as it is?

d84944aec3df7e895d6aa011027b8a7b.jpg

Welcome

Just hit the local bbq, outdoor equipment supplier and they can get you set up.
Plus I think Home Depot and lowes can supply equipment

What Steveray said. If they pull a permit and ask me to review or inspect it I always ask for the MFR installation instructions and won't approve unless they comply with those.

Bigger issue is do you plan to keep it open air or install a shade cover over the area? If so clear height above burners may be an issue as will type of material ( no palm fronds!).

If you are looking for Best Gas Grills ,Pellet Grills or Smokers then you should make a precise decision because after all its one of the important kitchen equipment. I suggest you to visit https://gasgrillsguide.com/ briefly for grills reviews and buying guide ,it will definitely assist you in finalizing your desired grill.

Some "Wildfire interface zone" Municipalities have altered the fire code to include the SFD homes (R-3) in the prohibition of Open-Flame Cooking Devices in outdoor kitchens.

Check the muni-code changes in the city, county you want to build in.

Why even install a gas grill? If it is not convenient or may cause problems then wouldn't it be easier to install an electric one? Just saying.
There's plenty to choose from. Look, I've found a review you might find helpful

cheers

Why even install a gas grill? If it is not convenient or may cause problems then wouldn't it be easier to install an electric one? Just saying.
There's plenty to choose from. Look, I've found a review you might find helpful

cheers
No disrespect to your gender...but....grown men need to singe their eyebrows now and then. It's an American thing.