• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Outdoor Receptacles Outlets and NEC 210.52(E)

jar546

Forum Coordinator
Outdoor receptacles must be installed so that the receptacle faceplate rests securely on the supporting surface to prevent moisture from entering the enclosure. On uneven surfaces such as brick, stone, or stucco, it might be necessary to use mounting blocks or to close openings with caulking compound or mastic.

See NEC 406.9 for more information on receptacles installed in damp or wet locations if you don't agree with the above statement.

2020 NEC

406.9(E) Flush Mounting with Faceplate.
The enclosure for a receptacle installed in an outlet box flush-mounted in a finished surface shall be made weatherproof by means of a weatherproof faceplate assembly that provides a watertight connection between the plate and the finished surface.

I don’t see a mention of caulk or mastic. Now if the code said make a mess of it …. Well then, spuge away.

Last edited:
We have an inspector locally that doesn't allow NM to exterior fixtures because it is a "wet location"....Which is what this section seems to be attempting to avoid....

2020 NEC

406.9(E) Flush Mounting with Faceplate.
The enclosure for a receptacle installed in an outlet box flush-mounted in a finished surface shall be made weatherproof by means of a weatherproof faceplate assembly that provides a watertight connection between the plate and the finished surface.

I don’t see a mention of caulk or mastic. Now if the code said make a mess of it …. Well then, spuge away.
It says watertight connection. I think it was worded that way to allow more than one sealing method. Foam strip on the bsck of the plate. Skillfully and neatly applied caulk.

Caulk is a sacrificial building component. As long as you are willing to replace it every few years it will perform. As an inspector I don’t trust that it will happen so I ask for a permanent building component. The rubber washer is one method….doubled up even.

Last edited: