• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Outdoor Spaces and the Code

New calcs:

414.2.5(1)

975 liquid gallons of corrosives/1.7(of electrolyte per battery)= about 573 batteries.

there are 6 batteries per cart.

573/6= about 95 carts.

can be increased 100% for sprinklers = 190 carts.

That works out much better!

I still think there must be something else

Especially for totally sealed batteries

I have two remaining questions from my code research.

1. On the second story of our Golf Course Club House are 6 single family dwellings. We have a single fire rated exit stairway leading to the out side of the building. This floor also has elevator access. I am wondering if the patio doors within each dwelling counts as a second exit?

According to IBC 2012 Table 1021.2(1) stories with one exit or access to one exit for R-2 occupancy on the second story is limited to 4 dwelling units.

Based on Table 1021.2(1) it seems as though we need another exit because we have 6 dwelling units.

Semi related question.

A single building containing 4 single family dwelling units on 2 floors (2 units per floor). All units share an entry vestibule with a set of stairs. Lower level units are walk out.

2. What code is required? IBC or IRC?

Based on the scope I believe IBC and then are required to meet ICC A117.1 for the units. Is this true?

ActionJackson00 said:
I have two remaining questions from my code research.1. On the second story of our Golf Course Club House are 6 single family dwellings. We have a single fire rated exit stairway leading to the out side of the building. This floor also has elevator access. I am wondering if the patio doors within each dwelling counts as a second exit?

According to IBC 2012 Table 1021.2(1) stories with one exit or access to one exit for R-2 occupancy on the second story is limited to 4 dwelling units.

Based on Table 1021.2(1) it seems as though we need another exit because we have 6 dwelling units.

Semi related question.

A single building containing 4 single family dwelling units on 2 floors (2 units per floor). All units share an entry vestibule with a set of stairs. Lower level units are walk out.

2. What code is required? IBC or IRC?

Based on the scope I believe IBC and then are required to meet ICC A117.1 for the units. Is this true?
Wait a minute wait a minute,

How did this golf clubhouse turn into a dwelling???

?1 yes you need a second exit from the story. You need to have stairs leading from each dwelling unit patio area to grade level to meet the definition of an exit.

?2 You are correct the design (upper and lower units) require the use of the IBC. Look at 1107.6.2 before jumping to A117.1

mtlogcabin said:
?1 yes you need a second exit from the story. You need to have stairs leading from each dwelling unit patio area to grade level to meet the definition of an exit.?2 You are correct the design (upper and lower units) require the use of the IBC. Look at 1107.6.2 before jumping to A117.1
Based on

1107.6.2.2.2 Type B Units : "Where there are four or more dwelling units to be occupied as a residence in a single structure, every dwelling unit shall be a type B unit"

So our 6 dwelling units above the clubhouse need to be type B (none of the reductions per 1107.7 are applicable).

Our four-plex is required to have 2 type B units if the reduction of 1107.7.1 is used (those units on the main level)

1107.7.1 Structures without elevator service Where no elevator service is provided in a structure only the dwelling units and sleeping units that are located on stories indicated in sections 1107.7.1.1 and 1107.7.1.2 are required to be type A units and type B units, respectively.

1107.7.1.1 one story with type B units required At least one story containing dwelling units shall be provided with an accessible entrance from the exterior of the structure and all units on that story shall be type B units.

mtlogcabin said:
?1 yes you need a second exit from the story. You need to have stairs leading from each dwelling unit patio area to grade level to meet the definition of an exit.?2 You are correct the design (upper and lower units) require the use of the IBC. Look at 1107.6.2 before jumping to A117.1
What code section requires each patio to have a stair?? , unless this is the entrance to the unit

cda said:
What code section requires each patio to have a stair?? , unless this is the entrance to the unit
I am wondering if the patio doors within each dwelling counts as a second exit?
I should have been clearer

The code requires 2 exits from the above grade story

The patio doors located above grade are not a second exit. In order to be an exit there needs to be a means of egress (stairs or ramp) leading to grade level.

Install an additional stair that is accessed by all above grade units or installing stairs at each dwelling unit patio will provide a second means of egress for each dwelling unit from the above grade story.